Re: Vague appeals to OST Parts 1-6

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 02:57:29 EST

    >>>DNAUnion: As usual, the "evolutionist" counter argument stopped at
    open-system thermodynamics and never bothered to mention the other required
    half of the solution. At no point in its 3.5 billion year history here on
    Earth did life evolve solely because the Earth is an open system.

    >>>Paul Robson: Well, DNAUnion, that might be because it is directly
    connected with the statement that the SLOT is violated "because everything
    decays always", This argument is found in much YEC literature. This isn't a
    valid criticism. If you are told "Evolution violates the SLOT because of the
    tendency of everything to decay" for example, you can merely answer "no it
    doesn't because it is not a closed system".

    ***************************************
    DNAunion: But what if the argument includes the question of how the second
    half of the solution came to be (in order to provide more than a partial
    explanation)? I admit that the response I quoted does not pertain to this,
    but that is the question that SEJones and I were asking about. "We" are told
    that the Earth is an open system - that's it. That does not answer the
    question of how the first cell came to be - a sufficient energy source is not
    sufficient in itself to evolve a cell from scratch.

    "Okay", one might might say, "but that pertains exclusively to the origin of
    life, and not evolution". I think not - I think this also pertains to the
    big picture of evolution. Life can evolve using available energy *only
    because it already possesses those "coupling mechanisms"*, so there still
    remains a basic question of how life can evolve: HOW DID IT FIRST BECOME ABLE
    TO EVOLVE? Answering that an airplane does not violate gravity when it flies
    is not an answer as to how an airplane flies.
    *************************

    [...]

     Part 3
     =====

    >>>DNAunion: As others have done, the author switches away from talking about
    thermodynamics as it applies to biology to focussing on ONLY thermodynamics.
    So what? What is wrong with this? Simple, but I will need to use an
    analogy. ...

    >>>Paul Robson: That's because the Creationist has made a statement about
    thermodynamics and the "Evolutionist" is explaining why that statement is not
    true.

    DNAunion: The "Creationist" has made a statement about thermodynamics *as it
    applies to evolution*, and evolution deals with life. So we are back to
    discussing more than mere thermodynamics, but the evolutionist response only
    addresses thermo, neglecting biology.

    >>>Paul Robson: Conclusion
    ========
    Don't see the problem. All these are the same

    Creationist: "Evolution violates SLOT because everything decays"
    Evolutionist:"No it doesn't because that only applies to closed systems"

    It's a rebuttal ; not a complete history of evolution.

    DNAunion: Are you *sure* that "all these are the *SAME*"? Or are some of
    them just similar forms of the same basic argument?