Re: Vague appeals to OST (retraction - kind of)

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 17:16:12 EST

    >>>DNAUnion: ... and more importantly, the origin of those biological
    molecules machines is never addressed. And should the Creationist/IDist
    bring up problems of the origin of said molecular machines, the
    "Evolutionist" falls back to the position that they themselves are not part
    of thermodynamics: moving the goal posts.

    >>>Paul Robson: That's because both these are distraction tactics, DNAUnion,
    and they are commonly used by CIDers in my experience.

    DNAunion: No, the thread started off talking about thermodynamics in
    relation to the origin of life, and stating that more is needed the simply
    available energy. It was those who changed the subject - the
    "evolutioninsts" - that are practicing distraction tactics.

    On 10/26/2000, 19:11:46 EDT, SEJones started the thread "Phil Johnson on the
    Second Law of Thermodynamics", and in it, SEJones (and those he quoted)
    discussed (1) thermodynamics as it applied to the origin of life and (2) the
    need for something more than just available energy. Thus, my points are
    valid. It is those who refuse to discuss these two points that are changing
    the subject - diverting attention away from the real issue.

    [quote]SEJones quoting Phil Johnson: Consider this example from a Time
    Magazine cover story, dated December 28, 1992, Pg. 38, by Robert Wright. Here
    is the relevant paragraph:

    Various scientists are pondering the prospect that a basic physical law lies
    waiting to be discovered, a law defining the circumstances under which
    systems infused with energy become more complexly structured. This law would
    carve out local exceptions to the general tendency of things to become more
    chaotic and bland -- higher in "entropy" -- as dictated by the famously
    depressing second law of thermodynamics. Charles H. Bennett, of IBM's Thomas
    J. Watson Research Center, who has deeply shaped the modern understanding of
    the second law, suspects there is indeed a law that if known would make
    ****life's origin**** less baffling. Such a law, he has said, would play a
    role "formerly assigned to God."

    I am sure that both Charles Bennett and Robert Wright would define the Second
    Law as you do, but they have no difficulty making sense of the claim that
    there is no known natural process that can explain the complexity of living
    organisms in light of the Second Law. ****It takes more than saying that the
    earth is an open system receiving energy from the sun to explain why we see
    such enormous increases in complex ordered systems on the earth****. Of
    course the Second Law does not prevent _all_ local increases in order; that
    would be absurd. Physical laws do produce simple, repetitive forms of order,
    but this is quite different from the highly complex forms of organization
    present in e.g., a jet airplane, a computer program, or a living cell. Hence
    the perceived need for what Bennett and Wright think of as a new basic
    physical law "that if known would make ****life's origin**** less baffling."

    The better way to state the entropy argument is to say that the functional
    organization of living systems requires the presence of complex specified
    aperiodic information, which does not appear to be produced either by chance,
    or by physical law, or by a combination of chance and law. [/quote]

    DNAunion: It is clear that the real question which SEJones, I, and others
    what answered is, how did the mechanisms (be they called "coupling
    mechanisms", "energy-directing mechanisms", "information processing
    systems", "complex, specified information", etc.) required to properly
    harness the available energy on the prebiotic Earth into generating
    biologically-relevant work (i.e., the other part of the solution: the part
    that is required in addition to open-system thermodynamics) come into
    existence when they currently arise only from preexisting ones? The real
    question again is not how life operates now, but how it became capable of
    operating: one can give a full accounting of the operation of a computer or
    internal-combustion engine in terms of physics and chemistry alone, but the
    origin of the computer or engine required something more than just the known
    laws of physics and chemistry themselves.

    So SEJones laid out the real question. And what did the first person to
    respond do? Change the subject.

    >>>Phil Johnson: Physical laws do produce simple, repetitive forms of order,
    but this is quite different from the highly complex forms of organization
    present in e.g., a jet airplane, a computer program, or a living cell.

    >>>Richard Wein: More obfuscation. In what way are they quite different? Of
    course there are *some* differences, but what do these differences have to do
    with the Second Law? Nothing!

    DNAunion: It is obvious how they are different (but Richard's distraction
    does help direct attention away from the real issue). One deals with a mere
    increase in order (formation of snowflakes, vortex when draining a tub, etc.)
    and the other deals with an increase in *complex organization* (formation of
    a jet airplane, computer program, or living cell). Richard dismisses
    Johnson's valid point right off the bat, taking us away from the original
    point. No wonder that original point keeps getting lost - others too do the
    same thing, no matter how often I try to return the discussion to the
    original point.

    And we see right off the bat another sleight-of-hand counter that I
    mentioned: Richard changes from discussing *thermodynamics as it applies to
    life* to discussing thermodynamics *only*. This manipulation of the
    discussion then allows Richard to make claims such as "this or that isn't
    even part of thermodynamics", trying to show the opponent to be distorting
    science. However, as I pointed out elsewhere, one can surely talk about
    gravity when talking about airplane flight, even though engines, pilots,
    fuel, etc. are involved. Likewise, one can talk about thermodynamics when
    talking about life, even though ribosomes, DNA, RNA, biological information,
    etc. are involved.

    >>>Phil Johnson: The better way to state the entropy argument is to say that
    the functional organization of living systems requires the presence of
    complex specified aperiodic information, which does not appear to be produced
    either by chance, or by physical law, or by a combination of chance and law.

    >>>Richard Wein: Which "entropy argument"? Is Johnson still talking about
    the Second Law, or has he subtly changed the subject? If he's still talking
    about the Second Law, than this is yet another misrepresentation of the
    Second Law.

    DNAunion: No, this is another of *Richard's* misrepresentations of the real
    question being asked by Phillip Johnson in his post.

    >>>Richard Wein: Complex specified information (as defined by Dembski) has
    absolutely nothing to do with the Second Law. If he's changed the subject,
    then this is a red herring.

    DNAunion: But it is Richard who again changes the subject. Complex,
    specified information may not have anything to do with thermodynamics itself
    (although many have expressed information in terms of negative entropy), but
    it does have something to do with life, which is the other half of the topic
    (and complex, specified information is required in extant cells to overcome
    the tendency cells have towards greater disorder and reaching thermodynamic
    equilibrium).

    I tried to make this simple, but no one seems to get it.

    (1) Start with a cell and disrupt one of its "coupling mechanisms" (eliminate
    an enzyme needed in metabolism, or remove the genes that code for the
    ribosome, or eliminate all genes that code for ATPases, etc.). What happens?
     The cells dies (the reactions that were being actively kept far from
    equilibrium reach equilibrium, or components will not be able to be
    constructed or repaired). You start with a highly-organized cell - which
    must fight continuously to stay highly organized - and end up with a
    "lifeless blob of goop". Cellular order is lost as disorder increases.
    This is thermodynamics in a biological context.

    (2) Go the other route: start with a "lifeless blob of goop". Sit there and
    watch it. Watch it some more. Go ahead, keep watching. Did it
    spontaneously assemble itself into a functioning cell? No, of course not.
    The "goop" remains randomly arranged and will not spontaneously organize
    itself into a functioning cell. Energy (and coupling mechanisms) is needed
    to drive the uphill reactions associated with constructing and maintaining a
    cell. This too is thermodynamics in a biological context.

    So we saw how SEJones started the thread by discussing thermodynamics as it
    applies to the origin of life, and how Richard then deflected the true
    course. Well, perhaps you say, the discussion never came back to the origin
    of life. Wrong. Here is the third post in the thread, which addressed
    Richard's reply to SEJones.

    >>>DNAunion [quoting Dean Kenyon]: … The problem I have with that is that we
    have no empirical indication as to how an energy capture system (i.e., a
    primitive photosynthesis mechanism) could have originated by purely natural
    means: and then, of course, we have no indication in the experimental data as
    to how a genetic system, a gene which would direct chemistry against the
    tendency that the Second Law imposes on matter toward greater disorder [could
    have arisen by purely natural means]. In the absence of those two lines of
    evidence, I am going to suspend judgment about whether or not the origin of
    life "violates" the Second Law." (Focus on the Origin of Life, An Interview
    with Dean H. Kenyon, Profess
    or of Biology, San Francisco State University, 1994, VHS Tape from Access
    Research Network, http://www.arn.org)

    This is closer to my position relating to entropy. Neither the maintenance of
    preexisting life nor the evolution of preexisting life are the real issues:
    these can be explained by relying on the highly-complex preexisting
    biochemistry of cells (but *still* require the continual struggle against the
    natural tendency of entropy to increase, and for reactions to reach
    equilibrium).

    The origin of life is different, as there were then no preexisting closed
    metabolic cycles, no specified complex information as found in genomes, and
    no complex enzymes. How did pools of simple, random, organic molecules,
    operated upon by undirected and uncontrollable energy sources only, become so
    ordered, complex, and *organized* to produce the first cells?

    Experience shows us that the natural tendency IS away from the complex and
    organized state associated with cells.

    First, let's start from the building blocks and see if we get life. Take a
    single bacterium and rupture its cell wall and plasma membrane so that its
    contents leak out, but remain confined to the area immediately surrounding
    the bacterium. Those INTACT, PREEXISTING ENZYMES, DNA, RIBOSOMES, … ETC will
    *NOT* reform a functioning cell. And the starting point just mentioned is
    far, far above the level of organization that OOL researchers have achieved
    (no prebiotically plausible mechanisms for the generation of enzymes, DNA,
    ribosomes, … etc.).

    Second, let's start with life and see what happens. Take a fully-functioning
    bacterium and take away its food source. The natural tendency for disorder
    (entropy) to increase - no longer being opposed by the bacterium due to no
    more flow of matter and energy through the cell - will cause its
    highly-organized state to disintegrate.

    DNAunion: So it is clear that the Thermodynamics thread that has recently
    been posted to quite a bit, and which has splintered off into several
    subthreads, started off on the right track - discussing thermodynamics in
    relation to the origin of life - but that the "Evolutionists" then derailed
    it.