Vague appeals to OST (retraction - kind of)

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 17:55:54 EST

    DNAunion: Okay, so I could not find every post I have ever read at every
    evolution/creation/ID site I have ever visited. Was I really expected to?

    But since I could find posts that back up my EXACT claim, I will retract it
    and replace it with my GENERAL FORM of the claim.

    Over the course of several years, I have personally read many posts on the
    internet, at various sites, in which an "evolutionist", while responding to a
    Creationist/IDist argument, relies only on open-system thermodynamics to
    "refute" his opponent. In these particular exchanges, the Creationist/IDist
    had argued that some biological process that involved large increases in
    order and complexity (such as macroevolution or the evolution of the first
    cell) could not occur by purely-natural, undirected processes because that
    would go against the tendency imposed by the 2nd law - to which the
    "evolutionst" counters along the lines of, "but life and/or the Earth are
    open-systems, so entropy can decrease". This reliance on only open-system
    thermodynamics is all that is offered by the "evolutionist" in the many cases
    I am discussing - no mention is made of the biological molecular machines
    that are also required, and more importantly, the origin of those biological
    molecules machines is never addressed. And should
    the Creationist/IDist bring up problems of the origin of said molecular
    machines, the "Evolutionist" falls back to the position that they themselves
    are not part of thermodynamics: moving the goal posts.