Misc stuff on entropy, tendency, life

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 17:24:04 EST

    DNAunion: Here are some interesting things I ran across as I skimmed web
    pages in my "Vague appeals to OST" searches.

    ++++++++++++++
    "Blockage of the second law is absolutely necessary for us to be alive and
    happy. Not one of the complex chemical substances in our body and few in the
    things we enjoy would exist for a microsecond if the second law wasn't
    obstructed. Its [italics]tendency[italics] is never eliminated but,
    fortunately for us, there are a huge number of compounds in which it is
    blocked for our lifetimes and longer." (http://www.secondlaw.com/two.html)
    +++++++++++

    Note that the following quotes references thermodynamics in relation to life,
    and IT CORRECTLY INCLUDES THE MOLECULAR MACHINES USED BY LIFE, thus avoiding
    the charge of "vague appeal to open-system thermodynamics".

    +++++++++++++
    "Because of the second law about energy flow's direction, life is always
    threatened. Every organic chemical of the 10,000 different kinds in our
    bodies is metastable, synthesized by a nonspontaneous reaction and only kept
    from instant oxidation in air by activation energies. (Loss or even the
    radical decrease of just a few chemicals could mean death for us.)

    Living creatures are essentially energy processing systems that cannot
    function unless a multitude of "molecular machines", biochemical cycles,
    operate synchronically to use (process) energy to oppose second law
    predictions. All of the thousands of biochemical systems that run our bodies
    are maintained and regulated by feedback subsystems, many composed of complex
    substances.

    Most of these compounds as well as the rest of the 10,000 are synthesized
    internally by thermodynamically nonspontaneous reactions, effected by
    utilizing energy ultimately transferred from the metabolism (slow
    oxidation) of food. These metabolic and synthetic processes are also governed
    by feedback subsystems.

    When these feedback subsystems fail -- due to inadequate energy inflow,
    malfunction from critical errors in synthesis, the presence of toxins or
    competing agents such as bacteria or viruses -- dysfunction, illness, or
    death results: energy can no longer be processed to carry out the many
    reactions we need for life that are contrary to the direction predicted by
    the second law." (http://www.secondlaw.com/five.html)
    +++++++++++++++++++

    Finally, here is another example of tendency differing from behavior (and it
    mentions both gravity and the 2nd law).

    ++++++++++++++++++
    "Here's a simple illustration: If I hold a half-pound rock in my fingers so
    it is ready to fall, it has potential energy concentrated in it because it is
    up above the ground. If the second law is so great and powerful, why doesn't
    the energy that has been concentrated in the rock spread out? Obviously, it
    can't do that because my fingers are "bonding" to it, keeping it from
    falling. The second law isn't violated. That rock [italics]tends[italics] to
    fall and diffuse its energy to the air and to the ground as it hits -- and it
    [italics]will[italics] do so [italics]spontaneously[italics] by itself,
    without any help -- the second I open my fingers and "unbond" the rock."
    (http://www.secondlaw.com/two.html)