Re: Overcome (and analogies)

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 15:46:46 EST

    >DNAunion: Basically, I have been using the term overcome in situations
    where
    >an object or process has two tendencies/forces operating in what amount to
    >opposite directions, with one of the tendencies/forces exerting itself
    >enough
    >to, well, overcome the other.

    OK, I can accept that (with the proviso that there may be more than two
    tendencies/forces involved).

    Given what I said in my last post, we can make sense of the the concept of
    overcoming a tendency, providing we understand that that really means
    causing a second tendency which counteracts the first one. So, if the
    athlete pushes up hard enough to raise the barbell, we can say say that the
    athlete is overcoming the tendency of gravity to lower the barbell. *But* we
    could with equal justification say, if the athlete is not pushing hard
    enough to stop the barbell falling, that the force of gravity is overcoming
    the tendency of the athlete to raise the barbell.

    But it makes no sense to talk about overcoming a *law*, as in overcoming the
    SLOT. A law is a law. It just is. You cannot overcome it. You may be able to
    find an exception to it, but there are no known exceptions to the SLOT.

    If the law describes a force or tendency, then you can talk about overcoming
    that force or tendency. This causes some confusion in the case of gravity
    because there is both a law of gravity and a force of gravity. When you talk
    about overcoming gravity, you mean overcoming the force, not the law.

    I suppose you could talk about overcoming the tendency described by the
    SLOT. But the SLOT does not describe any tendency for non-isolated systems.
    In the case of non-isolated systems, the SLOT describes a tendency for the
    surrounding environment. The surrounding environment has a tendency to gain
    at least as much entropy as the system loses. The SLOT certainly does not
    describe any tendency for the entropy in a non-isolated system to increase,
    as you seem to suggest.

    But why insist on using these loose and confusing terms? I can understand
    why you might start by stating your argument in loose terms, as a first
    approximation. I do that too. But, when challenged, or if people are having
    difficulty understanding me, I respond by making my arguments more precise.
    You, on the other hand, respond by continuing to use the same imprecise
    terms on the grounds that other people sometimes use these terms too. This
    has always been one of my complaints about ID proponents. They resist
    stating their arguments in precise terms. If they did state their arguments
    in precise terms, they would more easily see the flaws in those arguments.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.