Re: Overcome (and analogies)

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 17:08:06 EST

    >>>Richard Wein: But it makes no sense to talk about overcoming a *law*, as
    in overcoming the SLOT. A law is a law. It just is. You cannot overcome it.
    ... If the law describes a force or tendency, then you can talk about
    overcoming that force or tendency.

    *********************
    DNAunion: Good point. I had noticed that my language had shifted over the
    course of the exchanges from saying that some law was overcome, to stating
    that the tendency the law imposes on matter has been overcome (as I went from
    loose to more technical).

    I believe many people accept the statement:

    "For an airplane to fly it must overcome gravity".

    But this is probably not accurate: it is probably more correct to state that:

    "For an airplane to fly, it must overcome its tendency to remain as close to
    the Earth's center of mass as possible, which is imposed on it by gravity due
    to the airplane's and Earth's great masses and their proximity, and that this
    ability to overcome that tendency is provided by thrust and lift, which are
    the results of the controlled combustion of fuel in jet engines and the more
    rapid flow of air over a wing than under it, ... " and so forth and so on.

    So when someone says that a law is overcome, they may be relying on another
    instance of "shorthand" terminology.