Attributing statements to the wrong people

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 14:54:31 EST

    […]

    DNAUnion's rather confusing terms, let me try to use his term "energy
    conversion mechanism".

    >>>DNAunion: Yep, Richard, you're totally confused: but not by me -it's your
    own doing. I have been bringing up *coupling mechanisms*, not *energy
    conversion mechanisms* Are you sure you are not talking about someone else's
    term here? Huh?

    >>>Richard Wein: OK. On checking the archives, I see that you did not use
    the term "energy conversion mechanisms". So I apologise for attributing the
    term to you.

    *****************
    *****************
    *****************
    DNAunion: No apology needed: your acknowledging the error is sufficient (and
    if you will remember, I did the same thing when I started posting here!).
    *****************
    *****************
    *****************

    >>>Richard Wein: However, I would point out the following mitigating factors:

    1. This term is widely used by Stephen Jones and other creationists who make
    arguments from the SLOT.

    2. You yourself have stated that your argument is similar to Stephen's:

    [From: DNAunion@aol.com. Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 22:19:52 EST ]
    Now, the way I see it, unless one goes out of the way a bit to avoid the
    following conclusion, you are calling SEJones' argument about thermodynamics
    in relation to the origin of life a "Creationist Law of Thermodynamics".
    Since his and mine appear to me to be so similar, then I consider you to be
    calling my "version" of thermodynamics Creationist also. I feel this is
    unwarranted, especially since you (and our other opponents) won't even
    discuss the topic we are.
    [end quote]

    *****************
    *****************
    *****************
    DNAunion: But the “most damning” part of this quote of mine is,
    “Since his and mine appear to me to be so similar”, and this is
    taken a bit out of context (besides containing the qualifying words "appear"
    and "similar"). Here is more of what was stated at that time by me in that
    post.

    DNAunion: The last post of SEJones' on this that I read meshed with my
    argument very well (depending on your frame of reference, it could be that my
    argument meshed well with his). Therefore, I have been considering ours for
    all practical purposes, equivalent. Maybe he holds to some of the Creationist
    views that others have posted here and I just haven't read them. However, I
    have found no problems (at least none that that jumped out at me) in SEJones'
    material I have read. Again, I am considering our position on this to be, for
    all practical purposes, identical.

    Now, the way I see it, unless one goes out of the way a bit to avoid the
    following conclusion, you are calling SEJones' argument about thermodynamics
    in relation to the origin of life a "Creationist Law of Thermodynamics".
    Since his and mine appear to me to be so similar, then I consider you to be
    calling my "version" of thermodynamics Creationist also. I feel this is
    unwarranted, especially since you (and our other opponents) won't even
    discuss the topic we are.

    Note all the qualifying I did in the first paragraph:

    (1) “meshed with my argument very well”. I did not state they
    were the same, just that they “meshed very well”.

    (2) “I have been considering ours for all practical purposes,
    equivalent.” I didn’t state I considered them *truly*
    equivalent, but rather *for all practical purposes* equivalent.

    (3) “Maybe he holds to some of the Creationist views that others have
    posted here and I just haven't read them.” There’s a backdoor
    (in case in another post SEJone’s actually did say something like,
    “evolution violates the 2nd law”. But from my reading of
    SEJones’ material, I doubt he ever did).

    (4) “However, I have found no problems (at least none that that jumped
    out at me) in SEJones' material I have read.” I did not state that
    SEJones’ material was flawless, but rather I found no problems *at
    least none that jumped out at me* in his material I read on the matter, which
    basically boils down to the one post with quotes from “The Mystery of
    Life’s Origin”.

    (5) After all that qualifying, I finished up by repeating at least one of
    them. “Again, I am considering our position on this to be, for all
    practical purposes, identical.”

    That is the background for my statement, “Since his and mine appear to
    me to be so similar” that Richard referenced.

    As I mentioned in that post, and mentioned elsewhere (presented in a moment),
    I was basing the “equivalency” of our two positions on *one post*
    of SEJones’, the one in which he quoted several times from “The
    Mystery of Life’s Origin”. In that post, he presented material
    concerning coupling mechanisms (the term used in “The Mystery of
    Life’s Origin”, which is where I actually picked it up from) and
    the apparent “chicken or egg” problem (basically, how were the
    very first coupling mechanisms made if coupling mechanisms are needed to make
    coupling mechanisms?).
    *****************
    *****************
    *****************

    >>>Richard Wein: 3. You have responded to several previous posts in which
    Dave and I have referred to "energy conversion mechanisms", without raising
    any objection. For example (one of many):

    [From: DNAunion@aol.com. Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 01:55:08 EST ]
    >>>David Bowman: Also, it is a simple demonstrable fact that many instances
    of local entropy decrease are *not* accomplished via such an "energy
    conversion system"; many other instances of local entropy decrease *are*
    accomplished with such a system that itself spontaneously forms in situ; and
    some instances *do* require a previously constructed such system. Sometimes
    such a "energy conversion system" is used for the production of a local
    *increase* in entropy. Whether or not such a system is needed for a given
    process or not is a function of the particular process at hand. It is *not* a
    concern of the 2nd law.

    DNAunion: Yes, but it is a concern when the second law is applied to biology.
    [end quote]

    ************************
    ************************
    ************************
    DNAunion: Again, any implication of my acceptance of a
    “Creationist” position using the term is a bit out of context.
    David himself is using the term and agreeing that “they” exist
    and that in many instances “they” are used to decrease entropy.
    He then wraps us by saying “they” are not a concern of the 2nd
    law. That was the part I disagreed with, in a sense, because
    “they” are a concern when the 2nd law *is applied to biology*.
    If you are going to make that term stick to me from this, you need to make
    the term stick to David as well – and more securely to him as I merely
    replied to *HIS* usage. If David’s usage was acceptable, then my reply
    to his statements cannot be faulted.

    >>>Richard Wein: 4. You made a statement linking "energy conversion systems"
    to "coupling mechanisms":