Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 15:28:56 EST

    Just a note regarding;

    >DB> ... All it shows is that a particular thermodynamic
    >no-go condition is met which merely allows us to further consider the
    >subject without rejecting the whole notion of abiogenesis out-of-hand on
    >thermodynamic grounds (contrary to many misdirected creationist attempts
    >to make a slam dunk on this point).
    >
    >DNAunion: Let's see. The conversation between Richard and David has been
    >about my (well, *supposedly* my) statements, AND I have made statements
    >related to problems for the origin of life in terms of entropy. Here David
    >mentions "misdirected creationists" in relation to thermodynamic arguments
    >centering around abiogenesis. Is David referring to me as a "misdirected
    >creationist", or is this just an example of my over-sensitivity to such a
    >possibility manifesting itself?

    I think it is the latter case. I was not necessarily referring to
    DNAunion. As far as I was concerned, I was responding to things that
    [Bchard had brought up that he seemed to indicate had come from DNAunion.
    My post was a response to Richard's interpretation about the concept of
    converting energy into reduced entropy *regardless* of who is or was
    ultimately responsible for the concept. He seemed to put words into
    DNA's mouth. The characterization seemed to be somewhat of a straw man.
    I tried to reinterpret things so that they would seem to be more
    plausible if they indeed happened to have come from DNAunion. (I didn't
    know for sure because I had ignored and not read much of DNA's previous
    "dialog" with others where the temperature of the earlier posts on all
    sides had greatly exceeded the flash point.) I did not bother to check
    the source, and merely responded to what Richard had said in his post.
    When I referred to "many misdirected creationist attempts" I had in mind
    a whole industry of related creationist objections, all of which are
    quite silly. Since DNAunion's objection only seems to refer to the OOL
    and not to biological evolution, and since he doesn't claim that the 2nd
    law is violated by biological processes, and AFAIK, by potential OOL
    scenarios either, this would suggest to me that DNAunion was not included
    in the pool of "many creationist attempts".

    My main actual disagreement with DNAunion in this whole thing is minor,
    and apparently more a philosophical matter of conceptual esthetics than
    of substantive science. The *only* reason I even entered the discussion
    in the first place was that DNA had claimed, in response to Chris' claim
    (paraphrased here by memory) that matter doesn't have any intrinsic
    properties preventing it from organizing itself in complicated ways via
    normal natural processes, that, indeed, according to DNA, there *was*
    something preventing matter from organizing, and that something was
    entropy. I objected (and still object) to this counterclaim that somehow
    entropy intrinsically prevents matter from organizing. From further
    discussions with DNA I have learned that he sees the situation as there
    being intrinsic default "tendencies" that matter has, and one of these
    intrinsic "tendencies" is to "tend" toward disorder/disorganization.
    Since DNA allows for these "tendencies" to be "overcome" under an
    appropriate set of circumstances, so that the matter properly obeys the
    laws of nature describing the matter's behavior under the actual
    circumstances present, it doesn't make any practical difference as to how
    matter ends up behaving in the end. If the behavior in a given
    circumstance is opposed to the tendency, then the circumstances have
    merely overcome that tendency. If the behavior is not opposed to the
    tendency, then the tendency is not overcome. This view of the situation
    is effectively that things tend to follow their tendencies--except when
    they don't because of the particular circumstances present. So even
    though I think this view is a conceptual violation of Ockham's razor, it
    has no observational consequences that can make any difference in the
    actual scientific description of the behavior of the system, and
    therefore is mostly a matter of conceptual esthetics. It's just that I
    doubt that Chris had thought of (& I know I didn't think of) the
    possibility of such a conceptual picture of the physical situation when
    he made his comment about there not being any anything in nature that
    prevents matter from oranizing itself in complicated ways.

    Since my purpose was not to carefully attribute the source of any extant
    concept in Richard's post, but rather to just deal with the concepts
    therein no matter *what* the source, I did not try to check up on
    Richard's attribution of the phrasing about an "energy conversion
    mechanism" to DNAunion.

    David Bowman
    David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu