Re: A new private mailing list?

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 15:20:08 EDT

    At 10:06 PM 10/10/2000, you wrote:
    >Allen Roy wrote:
    >
    >>Unless a email list is restricted in some way or another it soon becomes
    >>dominated by vocal, opinionated believers in evolutionism. I am also a
    >>member of the CRSnet (Creation Research Society) email list. After troubles
    >>with having the list open to most anyone, they restricted membership to
    >>those who join the society. While it is sad that not as many people can be
    >>involved, that is balanced by the ability to be able to discuss topics
    >>without the noise and raspberries of antagonistic acolytes of evolutionism.
    >>
    >>They use a statement of belief as the discriminating feature. Those who
    >>join are those who already agree with the viewpoint rather than being forced
    >>to tow the line.

    Susan
    >1. was any attempt made to enforce rules of courtesy?
    >2. without any difference of opinion, where is the discussion? I've left
    >lists with too few creationists and too many evolutionists out of sheer
    >boredom.
    >3. ID (and creation "science") both claim to be science. Science is
    >constantly exposed to the possibility of "noise and raspberries" it's part
    >of the scientific system of peer review. If ID can't survive even the
    >extremely informal peer review on a list such as this one, how is it
    >*ever* going to hope to be taken seriously as science?
    >
    >It's up to you if you want to belong to a list full of self-congratulatory
    >agreement. To me that would be as dull as ditchwater. You can't learn
    >anything from people who know everything you know.

    Chris
    Not true. You may not learn from people who *only* know what you know,
    though even this is not always the case, because they may have a different
    way of stating things that stimulates new ideas, etc. But, you knew that,
    didn't you? :-)

    However, it is true that the list would be less interesting with only one
    set of beliefs. Further, despite my disagreements with Stephen Jones, I do
    find his media article postings valuable.