Re: A new private mailing list?

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 19:43:01 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 22:18:23 -0500, Susan Brassfield Cogan wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>I am considering continuing the Reflector (like as it originally was under
    >>Phil Johnson) but in the form of a small private mailing list that would
    >>involve sending messages using the cc address book group facility. I
    >>presume this is feasible?

    SB>quite feasible. However, it would be more efficient to use e-groups. The
    >service is free and you can restrict membership.

    Thanks to Susan for this. I had not heard of eGroups until now.

    >SJ>I think there is a place for a list on creation/evolution/design that is
    >>mainly for laypeople and would feature a lot of news and scientific
    >>article sharing, and less debate.
    >>
    >>The list would be open to all those who are interested in design/ID (which
    >>would also include its Darwinian/naturalistic evolution rivals).
    >>
    >>The list would not necessarily exclude evolutionists but it would exclude
    >>those who denied design apriori (i.e. no amount of evidence would ever
    >>convince them of it).

    SB>that would be a tough criteria to prove. Good luck!

    I am not sure what "criteria" Susan is talking about. I would just take
    people at their word.

    >SJ>Constructive criticism of design/ID would be OK (in
    >>fact welcome) but not destructive. One would not have to believe that the
    >>designer was the Christian God, or in fact in *any* designer.
    >>
    >>The list would *not* be open to `flamethrowers' or those who habitually
    >>indulge in ad hominems.

    SB>I strongly recommend http://www.egroups.com/group/creationevolutiondebate
    >
    >courtesy is (politely) enforced and the discussions are excellent.

    Thanks to Susan again. In fact I have now joined an eGroup:
    creationevolutiondebate@egroups.com.

    I will not therefore be starting a private List. My apologies to those
    who emailed me privately expressing interest in same.

    I will be phasing out my discussions on the Reflector and I hope to see
    some of you in creationevolutiondebate@egroups.

    >SJ>New members would be admitted only by recommendation of an existing
    >>member and would be required to state their name, occupation /
    >>qualifications and where they stand in the creation-evolution design/ID
    >>spectrums. I personally don't like pseudonyms, but if someone had a *very*
    >>good reason to remain anonymous and use one, and the group was happy
    >>about it, they could.
    >
    >. . .
    >
    >>If anyone is interested in being members of new list on the above terms,
    >>please send me an email privately. I will keep that confidential.

    SJ>I pass. Sorry.

    That would have been a pity because I would not necessarily have a
    problem if Susan did want to join.

    I regard Susan as an honest and straightforward atheist who, apart
    from the odd ad hominem, I basically respect and enjoy responding to.

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)