Re: Flat earth (uneducated view)

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 14:35:08 EDT

    "Allen Roy" writes
      in message <000901c03348$73a92260$afec0b3f@oemcomputer>:

    > I don't know if you read the beginning of this thread, but at the follow URL
    > is the summary of some research which shows that nearly all educated people
    > from the times of the Greeks (who got much of their knowledge from Egypt)
    > believe in a spherical earth not a flat earth. The author found that the
    > concept that Christians believed and taught a flat earth was a concoction
    > of evolutionary story tellers of the late 19th Century.
    >
    > http://id-www.ucsb.edu/fscf/library/RUSSELL/FlatEarth.html

       Jeffrey Russell appears to be a fairly conservative Christian (judging
       from his other essays at
          http://id-www.ucsb.edu/fscf/library/RUSSELL/home.html)
       with an axe to grind. Neither Irving or Letronne were "evolutionary
       story tellers" (that's your mistake, though, not Russell's) and
       the simple fact that the tale of George Washington and the cherry
       tree has persisted almost as well as the flat-earth myth suggests,
       at best, that myths gain wide-acceptance because they sound
       plausible and mesh in some way with what people already believe.
       There is no need for Russell to imply some kind of conspiracy
       to propagate known falsehoods to defend Darwinism unless he is
       seeking to prop up his own faith.

    > The Young Earth concept is not associated with the flat earth
    > invention except in the minds of evolutionists. Nor do YECs
    > promote geocentricism. These are strawmen invented by evolutionists.

       No, this isn't the way these are used by evolutionists in my
       experience. Typically, the flat-earth and geocentricism claims
       demonstrate that using the Bible against science does not work.

       I'll state this strongly myself: in the past, Christians
       preferred to believe in geocentricism despite scientific evidence
       to the contrary because the Bible appeared to teach it. Today,
       we see much the same with young and even old-earth creationists:
       they attack, distort or otherwise deny scientific evidence
       because it conflicts with what they think the Bible teaches.

    > When evolutionists continue to raise up these lies it shows
    > their lack of education

       One of these "lies" appears to be your own invention -- that
       evolutionists claim YECs promote or believe in geocentricsm.
       Will you retract this claim?

    > or their willingness to use knowingly
    > false evidence because the end justifies the means.

       I don't see any evidence that evolutionists now or then *knew*
       the flat earth myth was false at the time they used it. In
       fact, it just defies common sense that someone would; once the
       lie was uncovered, the net result would be far more detrimental
       to an evolutionary cause than not lying at all.