Re: CSI, GAs, etc.

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 22:37:22 EDT

    >Richard Wein: If they have not been done yet, then it is imho quite
    important that they are done so that they can support what is now merely
    assertions.

    DNAunion: Very true. But does this not also apply to the origin of life?
    Why must Dembski have a 100% airtight, completely validated, empirically
    tried and true, perfect hypothesis, generated and completed within a couple
    years, before it is considered any more than an assertion, yet the
    purely-natural origin of life on earth is accepted as scientific fact even
    though it is not 100% airtight, it has not been completely validated, it is
    not empirically tried and true, it is not a perfect hypothesis, and very many
    researchers have been working on it for over 60 years!

    Sounds kind of unfair: absolute proof required for Dembski, while only a
    couple successes here and there - out of millions or trillions of steps - are
    sufficient to establish biopoesis as scientific fact.

    >Richard Wein: I know that science can be painful, but in case of a new
    thesis such as Dembski's it is quite necessary that such work is done.

    DNAunion: So we can't accept it until it is fully proven? But the
    purely-natural origin of life is elevated to scientific fact on flimsy and
    scant evidence?

    It all sounds pretty much like double standards. If we are not to accept
    Dembski's work then I suggest fairness dictates that we should not accept OOL
    researchers' work either.

    And let us not forget that Darwin's theory was also woefully incomplete when
    he introduced it. If "you guys" had your way (and applied "your guys"
    criteria equally), then there would be no Darwinian theory as it would have
    been rejected at the very beginning because it did not have all the answers
    right out of the starting blocks!