Re: CSI, GAs, etc.

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 10:47:03 EDT

    At 10:37 PM 10/05/2000, you wrote:
    > >Richard Wein: If they have not been done yet, then it is imho quite
    >important that they are done so that they can support what is now merely
    >assertions.
    >
    >DNAunion: Very true. But does this not also apply to the origin of life?
    >Why must Dembski have a 100% airtight, completely validated, empirically
    >tried and true, perfect hypothesis, generated and completed within a couple
    >years, before it is considered any more than an assertion, yet the
    >purely-natural origin of life on earth is accepted as scientific fact even
    >though it is not 100% airtight, it has not been completely validated, it is
    >not empirically tried and true, it is not a perfect hypothesis, and very many
    >researchers have been working on it for over 60 years!
    >
    >Sounds kind of unfair: absolute proof required for Dembski, while only a
    >couple successes here and there - out of millions or trillions of steps - are
    >sufficient to establish biopoesis as scientific fact.

    Chris
    The problem is, Dembski does not have, as far as I can tell, any workable
    case at all. Further, his claim obviously require the introduction of
    otherwise unnecessary "entities" (i.e., at least one designer), and thus
    has a much higher burden of proof. We *already* know that the natural world
    exists, and much about how it functions. To go beyond that involves a much
    more serious burden of proof, because we *don't* already know that aliens
    exist or that they have been anywhere near our planet. To go to the level
    of a supernatural designer requires a radically different *kind* of proof,
    because there's no way that we know of, even in principle, to argue
    rationally from empirical facts to a supernatural cause as opposed to
    merely a natural-world cause (including aliens, etc.).

    Right now, Dembski doesn't even have a working method of distinguishing
    real design from what unintelligent natural processes can do.