Re: intelligence without a brain

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 17:07:50 EDT

    At 01:03 PM 10/01/2000, you wrote:

    > >Chris
    > >If what is described in the article is considered intelligence, then the
    > >average computer program is definitely intelligent. I am personally willing
    > >to accept such a concept of intelligence-as-computation, but will point out
    > >that it is perfectly "materialistic" in that it doesn't require anything
    > >that mindless matter can't do.
    >
    >Bertvan:
    >The question is whether intelligence is also capable of
    >creativity/spontaneity/free will.

    Chris
    *Is* this the question? I saw no mention of it at all in the article. How
    is it necessary that slime mold be capable of "creativity/spontaneity/free
    will? What slime mold needs is the ability to respond to stimuli in ways
    that enable it to survive and reproduce. Bunching up around the food does
    not require creativity, free will, or spontaneity. It requires suitable
    mechanically computational response to stimuli.

    >If so, such qualities can be neither
    >measured nor predicted.

    Chris
    Of course, they *are* measured, routinely. Perhaps you mean that *you*
    don't know how to measure or predict them, don't you? Your arguments from
    personal ignorance tell us a lot more about you than they do about science,
    measurement, or prediction.

    Bertvan
    >I gather that materialists would claim that since
    >they can't be measured, they don't exist.

    Chris
    Or, they might claim, as I do, that they *can* be measured.

    Bertvan
    >Or at least, that they can have no
    >effect upon the world of molecules and physical forces.

    Chris
    Or, that you are positing a false alternative. Materialistic, deterministic
    processes can be as creative, spontaneous, and exhibit as much "free will"
    as you could care to have.

    Bertvan
    >That is a legitimate
    >view, but the opposite view is equally legitimate. The belief that
    >creativity/spontaneity/free will do exist and can have an effect upon the
    >world of molecules and physical forces.

    Chris
    Of course, they do exist and do have effects, because they are functions of
    certain structures of matter (as far as we can tell; and nothing
    non-material is needed to explain them). Again, you are positing a false
    alternative: That either materialism is true and there is no
    spontaneity/creativity/free will, or there is spontaneity/creativity/free
    will and materialism is false. There is a third alternative: That
    deterministic materialism is true *and* that deterministic structures and
    processes can exhibit spontaneity/creativity/free will. You will have
    trouble grasping this as long as you arbitrarily *define*
    spontaneity/creativity/free will
    in such a way as to be incompatible with materialism and determinism.

    Bertvan
    >If they exist they are a part of
    >reality, they could be a part of science.

    Chris
    They *are* part of the domain of science. I wonder how you have prevented
    yourself from finding this out all these years.

    Bertvan
    >If science claims to be unable to
    >deal with "unmeasureables", science should refrain from attempting to answer
    >questions about nature, except for simple descriptions of measurable,
    >observable phenomena.

    Chris
    Since everything is measurable, what would this leave science to refrain
    from attempting to answer questions about?

    >How nature acquired its complexity would be a one
    >question upon which science should remain silent -- if it insists upon
    >ignoring phonomina that most people (except for materialists) take for
    >granted.

    Chris
    Hmmmm. You are saying that Nature *acquired* its complexity? What makes you
    think Nature wasn't *always" just as complex as it is today?. This is
    another burden of proof for you, but it's one that you take on when you
    make dogmatic claims. Perhaps you mean something like, how *some* of Nature
    acquired *its* complexity? Or how living things acquired their complexity?
    Of course, since living things are not all there is in Nature, this is
    quite different from the question you posed.

    And, of course, science doesn't ignore the phenomena you mentioned; it
    merely takes a less pathetically superstitious view of them than you and
    most people do. Further, studying complexity is *obviously* a suitable
    activity for science, whether it ignores your views of free will,
    spontaneity, and creativity or not. What if complexity is not particularly
    connected with free-will, creativity, spontaneity?

    But, in any case, as mentioned above, and in *several* past posts, science
    does *not* ignore these topics. In fact, research in complexity provides
    indications as to how deterministic systems can be spontaneous and creative
    and exhibit a kind of free will.

    And, why oh why, if you are such an advocate of these things, do your posts
    nearly all seem to have been written by a poorly-programmed robot? Where
    are *your* spontaneity, creativity, and free will? You repeat the same
    claims over and over, mechanically. You consistently refrain from providing
    real evidence and argumentation to support them. You do not appear to have
    learned much of anything with respect to any of these topics, or the main
    topic of this list, in nearly two years, etc. And, when you *do* provide
    some kind of argumentation, it is like your last sentence above: Logically
    incoherent, lacking in logical connection between the antecedent and the
    consequent. You *repeat* endlessly not only the same basic claims, but the
    same crazily illogical pseudo-inferences, even after they have been soundly
    refuted several times and in several different ways. And, you routinely
    respond not to what a person *actually* says, but to a few "cue" words that
    trigger off automatic responses in you that typically have little to do
    with what the person was actually talking about. These are all signs of a
    *lack* of creativity, a lack of free-will, a lack of spontaneity.

    Could it be that they are so important to you because you experience so
    *little* of them and thus feel deprived, while we "materialists" are
    actually *being* spontaneous, creative, and acting freely? You seem
    *programmed* to mechanically and endlessly say, "Free will! Creativity!
    Spontaneity!" over and over again, without meaningful reference to facts or
    context. We could easily write a computer program that would exhibit nearly
    as much "Free-will, spontaneity, and creativity" as you do. Your position
    would be more plausible if you would start behaving as if *you* had free
    will, spontaneity, and creativity.