intelligence without a brain

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 13:03:09 EDT

    >Chris
    >If what is described in the article is considered intelligence, then the
    >average computer program is definitely intelligent. I am personally willing
    >to accept such a concept of intelligence-as-computation, but will point out
    >that it is perfectly "materialistic" in that it doesn't require anything
    >that mindless matter can't do.

    Bertvan:
    The question is whether intelligence is also capable of
    creativity/spontaneity/free will. If so, such qualities can be neither
    measured nor predicted. I gather that materialists would claim that since
    they can't be measured, they don't exist. Or at least, that they can have no
    effect upon the world of molecules and physical forces. That is a legitimate
    view, but the opposite view is equally legitimate. The belief that
    creativity/spontaneity/free will do exist and can have an effect upon the
    world of molecules and physical forces. If they exist they are a part of
    reality, they could be a part of science. If science claims to be unable to
    deal with "unmeasureables", science should refrain from attempting to answer
    questions about nature, except for simple descriptions of measurable,
    observable phenomena. How nature acquired its complexity would be a one
    question upon which science should remain silent -- if it insists upon
    ignoring phonomina that most people (except for materialists) take for
    granted.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan