ID vs ?

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 14:39:12 EDT

    Susan
    >in that case I need to know what orthodox Darwinism is. I think the
    >history of life is a history of change. I think that all life evolved from
    >a common ancestor--that ancestor being a self-replicating molecule. I
    >think the fossil record demonstrates this very clearly along with the DNA
    >smiliarities of everything that is alive. (Our DNA is 98% identical with
    >chimps. Has anyone ever wondered how identical our DNA is to that of
    >yeast?. It's not 98% but it's high.) I think that Darwin's original ideal
    >of variation and natural selection are the mechanism for change. I think
    >mutations are the source of variation. I think it all happened
    >gradually--as humans reckon time. I think evolution does not always proceed
    >at the same pace and sometimes can move blindly fast--as geologists reckon
    >time.

    Bertvan:
    Hi Susan,
    That is a clear, honest statement of your position, and is probably close to
    how the public views Darwinism. I assume it includes abiogenesis? And the
    common definition of random? Other opponents of ID on the board have
    sometimes expressed opposition to some of your beliefs, but the only
    opposition which arouses your ire seems to be those views which allows the
    *possibility* of a god. Just an impression. You might try to correct if it
    isn't true.