Re: Selection "standard" determines type of results of selection.

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 15:20:54 EDT

    >Chris:
    >>Because life is necessarily orderly, the question then becomes: Is design
    >>necessary for life as such?
    >
    >>The answer is: No, not if prebiotic evolution can occur that evolves
    >>non-living molecules into living molecules (i.e., into energy-using
    >>molecules or systems of molecules). Whether this has occurred or not is not
    >>definitely known, but there is plenty of evidence that suggests that it
    >>*can* occur. This, combined with the fact that life *does* exist, is
    >>all-but-complete proof that something like this *has* occurred, at least
    >>somewhere in the Universe (probably right here in River City :-) ).
    >
    >Bertvan:
    >Most people arguing against ID (still haven't figured out a label for your
    >guys)

    "evolutionionist" works.

    >insist that abiogenesis has nothing to do with evolution. I agree with
    >you - it does. However you have made couple of leaps here. From admitting
    >no one knows whether prebiotic evolution is possible, you've gone to arguing
    >"it can occur", and from that to "it has occurred". The fact that life exists
    >is no proof of prebiotic evolution. The existence of life might have some
    >other explanation. I have no quarrel with your speculations. That's how
    >scientific discoveries begin. I would not discourage anyone so inclined to
    >continue their effort to demonstrate prebiotic evolution. I dispute such
    >speculations can at this point be declared "scientific truth", and cause for
    >discouraging pursuit of other explanations.

    there is no particular way to persue "other explanations." They must be
    believed or not. Abiogenesis and evolution are not the same thing.
    Abiogenesis is an event that probably (but maybe not) happened only once.
    Evolution is the ongoing history of life. Creationists like to frequently
    confuse the two because evidence supporting abiogenesis is scarce and
    evidence supporting evolution is abundant. If they can do a switcheroo they
    can fool at least part of the audience.

    Susan

    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our
    actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only
    morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life.
    --Albert Einstein

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/