Re: evidence against Darwinism-there isn't any! (was the `body language' of a threatened `priesthood'? ...)

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 01:53:05 EDT

    At 06:09 AM 08/26/2000, you wrote:
    >Reflectorites
    >
    >On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 01:05:30 +0100, Richard Wein wrote:
    >
    >[...]
    >
    >RW>Johnson implicitly admits that his case against Darwinism is not based on
    > >scientific evidence (which as just as well, as he doesn't have any , ...

    Chris
    If a theory is *true*, what kind of evidence *could* there be against it?

    Well, it would have to be "evidence" that seemed to indicate that the
    theory was false while in fact it was true. Thus, if we wanted to find
    evidence against the basic claim that gravitation is a fact, we'd have to
    find apparent cases of physical objects not being affected by gravitation,
    even in the presence of massive objects (such as the Earth) which clearly
    gravitationally affect *other* things.

    But, if the theory of gravitation is *true*, why would we find such things?

    What we might find would be things that, to the very naive, appear to act
    contrary to the law of gravitation, such as a helium-filled balloon that
    floats upward rather than falling downward. But, with just a *little*
    insight, we can see that anything lighter than air should tend to rise in
    air, just as a block of Styrofoam will tend to rise when it is pushed under
    water. Why does the balloon rise? Because, though it *is* affected by
    gravitation, it is *less* affected than the same volume of air would be,
    because it has less matter in that same volume. Thus, like the Styrofoam,
    it will rise in air.

    So, I ask again: Why should there actually be evidence against naturalistic
    evolution if it is in fact the case?

    We can, of course, specify things which, *if* they were the case, would be
    evidence against naturalistic evolution (and I and others *have* specified
    such things). But, we're still waiting for one of these things to be found
    to be a fact.