Re: A Baylor Scientist on Dembski

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@cab.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 13:22:10 EDT

    Richard Wein wrote:

    >It's an unfortunate fact that there is no rigorous definition of the
    >scientific method available.

    It would be unfortunate if there were rigorous definition of how scientists
    must proceed. Breakthroughs occur through luck and the willingness to
    think new things.

    >Many philosophers of science have struggled with this issue, but with
    >limited success.

    A theologian is not a failure because he doesn't define or prove anything;
    like the philosopher of science, his calling is to ruminate about general
    principles. If he enjoys it and people enjoy reading him, and he can make
    a career out of it, he is a success.

    Philosophy of science is not itself a scientific activity. When philosophy
    is looked to to settle scientific questions, this only shows that the science
    is in trouble.

    >Since we know that speciation occurs, and the fossil record shows patterns
    >of small changes building up into larger changes over long periods of time,
    >the onus is on anti-evolutionists to show that some barrier exists which
    >prevents small changes from building up in this way.

    There are no final logical barriers in evolutionary biology. The DNA in
    my gametes could get scrambled by some trauma such that my offspring
    are flying dragons with giant brains. So the arguments are simply about
    what is most likely to have occurred. It seems unlikely to me that the
    microevolution we can observe is the mechanism that put together
    the complex organisms that appear suddenly in the Cambrian strata.
    Both the time factor and the irreducible-complexity factor weigh heavily
    against this. Irreducible complexity is a good criticism of microevolution;
    and thus, for those who assume evolution, irreducible complexity is a
    good argument for macroevolution.

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  415-648-0208  ~  cliff@cab.com