Re: A Baylor Scientist on Dembski

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 11:40:50 EDT

    From: David Bradbury mailto:dabradbury@mediaone.net

    >Richard Wein wrote:[8/15/00]
    [...]

    >> I think that when we use the word "propaganda", we generally mean it in a
    >> more pejorative sense, implying that the material so described is in some
    >> way misleading, even deceptive. Well, that's what I mean anyway. I think
    >> that the material produced by the ID movement achieves its goals to a
    large
    >> degree through deception. I make no comment, however, as to the extent to
    >> which this deception is practised consciously by ID proponents. I suspect
    >> they are often unaware of how deceptive they are being. My own experience
    >> suggests that ID proponents, like others who espouse crank theories, are
    >> blinded to facts and logic by the strength of their beliefs.
    Nevertheless,
    >> sometimes the deception is so blatant that this charitable interpretation
    is
    >> difficult to maintain.
    >
    >To which I add that the very same concerns (misleading, deceptive
    presentations;
    >evolutionary proponents seemingly "blinded to facts and logic by the
    strength of
    >their beliefs", etc.) are also equally troublesome to non-evolutionists.
    Such
    >problems are invariably compounded by fuzzy or ambiguous definitions for
    terms
    >used by both sides. Indeed, I again repeat that the great majority of ALL
    >disagreement encountered within this newsgroup is reflective of, or at
    least
    >significantly exacerbated by carelessly (possibly selective) imprecise
    >semantics.

    I'm willing to accept that people on both sides of the dispute perceive the
    other side's arguments to be misleading and contrary to fact or logic.
    However, it does not follow that both sides are correct in this perception.

    I would agree that imprecise use of language is widespread on the internet,
    and this certainly doesn't help. But I doubt that there would be much more
    agreement even if both sides were very careful with their language.

    I think that, when judging the arguments of each side, we should concentrate
    on the major works of the main proponents, and not what Fred Bloggs said in
    some newsgroup or other. ;-)

    [...]
    >> Dembski has published a monograph, "The Design Inference", in which he
    lays
    >> out a purported method for identifying designed objects. I've already
    >> critiqued the book in this forum. It is vague, equivocal, misguided and
    >> buries a very simple idea beneath layers of unnecessary obfuscation.
    >>
    >> However, the most damning criticism of Dembski's work is that he claims
    >> have detected design in nature despite the fact that he has never (to my
    >> knowledge) applied the method described in his book to any natural
    >> phenomenon. I have asked many ID supporters to cite an example in which
    he
    >> has applied his method, or approved the application of his method by
    anyone
    >> else, but no example has been forthcoming. It seems he is able to get
    away
    >> with this amazing omission thanks to the equivocation, obfuscation and
    >> innuendo which seem to be the hallmarks of ID arguments.
    >
    >Without condemning Richard's use of emotion-laden terms as "vague,
    equivocal,
    >misguided" and obfuscation" to describe Dembski's initial efforts to
    describe ID
    >(Intelligent Design) ... let me point out these are the very same terms
    we're
    >often tempted to apply to each other's uncompelling definition for much
    older,
    >and more basic terms as "science", "evolution", etc.

    Regardless of what emotions they may evoke, the terms mentioned here are
    descriptive and relevant. I see no reason not to use them. The alternatives
    are to turn a blind eye to reality, or to find more euphemistic terms. I
    prefer to call a spade a spade.

    It's an unfortunate fact that there is no rigorous definition of the
    scientific method available. Many philosophers of science have struggled
    with this issue, but with limited success. Until such time as someone comes
    up with a definition which can be shown to be useful, we must simply
    consider science to be that which scientists do. Since it is scientists
    themselves who are making the discoveries, and not philosophers, IDers or
    anyone else, I believe that they are in the best position to judge what is
    and isn't science. In other words, in the absence of any better method, we
    should accept the scientific consensus.

    I think "evolution" was very well defined by Futuyma, as quoted here
    recently by Tedd Hadley. It's certainly true that, in internet debates, the
    word is often misused by people on both sides of the argument. I do my best
    to use it clearly.

    I think it's also important to distinguish between the imprecise use of
    language in the argey-bargey of heated debate, and such usage when it occurs
    in supposedly scholarly works, such as those of Dembski and Behe.

    >Evolutionists and non-evolutionists appear to have widely (and
    significantly)
    >different meanings for any number of key terms. In many instances these
    are
    >selective definitions adopted because they fit one's philosophical goals,
    rather
    >than to provide clearcut, unambiguous meaning to key terms.

    I do not believe that's generally true of the scholarly works of
    evolutionary biologists. Such ambiguities would quickly be exposed by their
    colleagues in peer reviews and at conferences.

    >More dogmatic (or trustingly misguided) evolutionists define "evolution",
    for
    >instance, as simply being change in gene frequencies over time. But
    there are
    >many different ways in which gene frequencies can change. Some are
    >scientifically demonstrable ... as those leading to extinction, or those
    induced
    >by artificial selection (breeding experiments) or even the everyday mixing
    and
    >shuffling of genetic code pre-existing in a gene pool (more precisely
    termed
    >"variation"). But the particular changes in gene frequencies necessary in
    >biological macroevolution are not similarly verifiable... a fact invariably
    >overlooked (deceptively ignored?) when evolutionists piggy-back on the
    above and
    >make the grand statement that evolution is "scientific".

    Evolution is a very general word with many meanings. The important thing is
    for writers to be clear about which meaning they are using in a given
    context, and to stick to the same meaning throught the course of a given
    argument. The statement that "evolution is scientific" is meaningless unless
    one clarifies which sense of the word is intended. I recommend that, when
    you see such a statement, you challenge the writer to clarify his/her
    meaning.

    >Much the same problem exists in defining "science". Here however, as
    >participants regularly cite the criteria of empirical "science" when
    describing
    >what they accept by the term ... and specifically require non-evolutionary
    >interpretations of the evidence to meet these standards if they seek to be
    >considered "science" ... the evolutionists seldom, if ever, apply these
    criteria
    >to their own favored evolutionary explanations.

    One principle of science which *is* generally agreed, and which cannot be
    avoided as far as I can see, is the principle of parsimony. We apply this
    principle (usually without knowing it) whenever we draw any rational
    conclusions about the real world. To repeat an example I've given before:
    suppose you see a man enter a changing cubicle and 2 minutes later an
    identical man comes out. We have no way of knowing whether this is the same
    man, his identical twin or a shape-changing demon. It is the principle of
    parsimony which forces us to accept the first conclusion unless we have a
    very good reason to do otherwise. Similarly, the principle of parsimony
    places the burden of proof on those who hypothesize an unknown intelligent
    designer with unknown powers and unknown motives.

    >Richard, just as you mention above your inability to get a specific example
    from
    >IDers demonstrating successful fulfillment of their proposed confirmatory
    >(scientific) method, I have had the identical experience with
    evolutionists.
    >The need for such fulfillment of method is here well stated in a widely
    used
    >biology text.
    >
    >"A good hypothesis must undergo testing. Only if there is a test can the
    >scientist be certain his hypothesis is correct. Experimentation is a
    singular
    >aspect of science. Make certain that students understand the need for and
    >importance of this crucial part of the scientist's work."
    >"To be of value or promise, a hypothesis must be subject to
    experimentation. A
    >hypothesis which cannot be tested is of no significance." BIOLOGY: LIVING
    >SYSTEMS, by Omar, Hummer & Smoot, Teachers Edition, Pg. 26, 1926

    1926!!! It is now generally recognized that experimentation is not the only
    means of gathering empirical evidence. If it were, then we would have no
    historical sciences, including forensic science.

    >And here I request of you, will you (can you) provide me with even a single
    >example of evidence establishing biological macroevolution (hypothesis or
    >theory) that has met this widely publicized and accepted standard? Lacking
    such
    >example, by what other (non-experimental) criteria do evolutionists qualify
    >macroevolution as "science"?

    Speciation is a form of macroevolution, in the sense that the word is used
    by biologists (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/macroevolution.html), and has
    been observed in practice
    (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html).

    But I guess you are referring to higher levels of macroevolution. Since we
    know that speciation occurs, and the fossil record shows patterns of small
    changes building up into larger changes over long periods of time, the onus
    is on anti-evolutionists to show that some barrier exists which prevents
    small changes from building up in this way.

    Richard Wein (Tich)