Another ID argument

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 13:45:20 EDT

    Chris
    >As I suggested in a earlier posts, the term "random" in this context is
    >misleading. At least, you did not use the term "random mutation," so you
    >have improved your terminology at least a little. But, even if we use the
    >word "random" literally, I may as well point out that randomness is as
    >complex as you can theoretically get. What we would need in a world driven
    >by randomness would be an explanation of *simplicity* (i.e., humanly
    >intelligible order). This fact has in fact been used as an argument for the
    >existence of God, with the premise being that, without God, there would be
    >nothing *but* randomness (i.e., absolute maximum complexity).

    Bertvan:
    Hi Chris,
    Since you appear to be sincerely asking the reasons for my position, I'll do
    my best to explain. Each proponent of Darwinism probably has a slightly
    different view of the term, as does each ID, and your view of evolution might
    more similar to mine, in some respects, than some IDs. (I suspect sure you
    would be offended if I suggested your idea of a "natural order" resembled
    "design".) However you and I do have real differences. You believe all of
    nature can be explained naturalistically. I believe
    free-will/creativity/spontaneity/intelligence is as much a part of nature as
    gravity. We know gravity exists only because of certain consistent
    measurements. Free-will/creativity/spontaneity/intelligence will always
    remain "supernatural" and unmeasurable. Science, as we now define science,
    cannot deal with it. If you disagree, I feel no scorn for your view, and
    approve the existence of differences of opinion. I respect your belief that
    nothing exists that isn't capable of human understanding. I differ. (As
    with any word, "science" is defined by public usage.)

    Although you insist "random" doesn't have the meaning most people use, I
    assume your more unusual meaning of the term does include "without plan,
    purpose, meaning of design"- "non-existence of teleology". The existence or
    non-existence of teleology can not be determined by science--or anything
    else, and I reject any scientific theory that specifically denies its
    existence. In my opinion, your definition of random does that. I am not
    specifically skeptical of "evolution"- nor are most proponents of ID. Most
    are skeptical of evolutionary theories which specifically exclude teleology.
    ID could have been just another version of "evolution", debated along all
    the other ideas such as Punk Eek, but the establishment seems determined to
    see that doesn't happen. Why? Is it because the establishment is
    determined to specifically exclude any view of nature which allows the
    possibility of teleology?

    Chris:
    >What we see from you is not recognition that these arguments *are*
    >atrocious, but rather constant ignoring of your own claim that, "In the
    >end it will be the arguments of each side that impress the public - not the
    >credentials." The public, in general, does not care about the quality of
    >arguments. That is why Johnson has so many followers. That is why Hitler
    >had so many followers. Insofar as the public supports evolution at all,
    >it's not because it understands and accepts the arguments. It's because
    >scientists and intellectuals have accepted it and continue to support it.

    >Depending on the public to recognize sound arguments in issues like this is
    >silly when the public has been "educated" *not* to think, not to understand
    >rational epistemology, not to seek fundamentals, etc.

    Bertvan:
    One side's logical argument is seen by the other side as propaganda. Each
    side sees the tactics of their "opponents" as atrocious. I regard the
    tactics of the Darwinists as resembling McCarthyism, and apparently you view
    anything said by skeptics of Darwinism the same way. IDs have made
    statements with which I disagree. I disagree with lots of things, YEC's,
    UFO's, Marxism, Freudianism, genetic determinism, Christianity, multiple
    universes, TOE's, Bigfoot, astronomy, sociobiolog, etc., but at the moment
    no one is mounting a crusade to try to intimidate me into believing anything
    except Darwinism. Much of the public doesn't understand quantum mechanics.
     Even if some people claimed they didn't "believe in quantum mechanics", I
    doubt the physicists would mount a crusade, such as the on going
    anti-creationist crusade, to remedy the matter. And if they did, I doubt
    carrying on about the lack of intelligence and sincerity of such skeptics
    would accomplish much. I can't believe YEC was ever a threat to science,
    but biologists appear to regard any questioning of orthodoxy as a threat.

     At times you wax quite lyrical about the intellectual shortcomings of "the
    public". (Do you favor oligarchy over democracy.) You seem to feel people
    should believe what the majority of scientist tell them to believe - in spite
    of the many past scientific invalid positions. In the end, I have faith in
    humanity's "collective intelligence", with it's assortment of differences of
    opinion. Let's get the public really interested in evolution, for I'm
    convinced the disagreement is not over scientific facts, but over philosophy.
     That is where I in most agreement with Johnson. Let each side lay out their
    best arguments. Everyone is equally entitled to settle philosophical
    disputes - not just scientists. I'll continue to argue passionately for ID
    as long as I judge their tactics to be more tolerant and less intimidating
    than the other side.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan