Re: A Baylor Scientist on Dembski

From: Cliff Hamrick (Cliff_Hamrick@baylor.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 05:41:03 EDT

             Reply to: Re: A Baylor Scientist on Dembski
    Richard Wein,

    I appreciate your comments on my article concerning Dembski and the ID movement. I agree that my definition of "propaganda" was rather generous, but I was trying to be nice. However, other dealings with IDers since that article has hardened me a bit and I'm less likely to soften any blows in the future.

    I have also been irritated by IDers when they claim to have empirically detected design in nature, but refuse to confirm it. I recently posted a scientific test for ID on the ARN website (http://www.arn.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000256.html), which is a satellite organization of the Discovery Institute. If you read it, you will notice that the proponents of ID first attempt to pass the test through philosophical arguments, then they criticize the fairness of the test, then just start to get insulting. I have since decided to stop posting on that thread as it is obvious that I'm not going to get anywhere.

    In case you weren't aware, a committee has been set up which will assess the Polanyi Center (for which Dembski is the Director) here at Baylor and determine "Is it academically credible to investigate whether 'design inferences' have a place in the natural sciences? Is the Polanyi Center providing and supporting legitimate work in this area?" This committee should be meeting within the next few weeks. I'm expecting that a report will follow a few weeks later. I'm certain that the proponents of ID will declare any negative comments from the committee as biased and unfair. But, if the report is unfavorable to ID, then it will be a great asset to those who wish to keep ID out of the science classroom.

    Hope to hear from you again,
    Cliff Hamrick
    Baylor University

    Common sense isn't.