Re: Another ID argument

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 08:36:41 EDT

    At 10:37 AM 08/14/2000, you wrote:

    >Huxter:
    > >My point being of course that one of the tactics of the ID movement -
    > and of
    > >creationism in general - is to pump up one's credentials/qualifications to
    > >impress the lay public. Sadly, it seems to work all too often....

    Bertvan
    >Hi Huxter:
    >In the end it will be the arguments of each side that impress the public -
    >not the credentials. At the moment the Darwinists have convinced the media
    >that only religious fundamentalists would question "random variation and
    >natural selection" as the explanation of nature's complexity. When the media
    >discovers they have been had, look out!

    Chris
    As I suggested in a earlier posts, the term "random" in this context is
    misleading. At least, you did not use the term "random mutation," so you
    have improved your terminology at least a little. But, even if we use the
    word "random" literally, I may as well point out that randomness is as
    complex as you can theoretically get. What we would need in a world driven
    by randomness would be an explanation of *simplicity* (i.e., humanly
    intelligible order). This fact has in fact been used as an argument for the
    existence of God, with the premise being that, without God, there would be
    nothing *but* randomness (i.e., absolute maximum complexity).

    I bring this up (*again*) because you continue to abuse the word "random"
    in this way, as if it really meant something scientific to say that
    naturalistic evolutionary theory (or NET) used "random" variation to
    explain complexity. If you want to emphasize that NET uses naturalistic
    processes not directed by an intelligence (i.e., a smart mind), you need
    only say "variation." You don't need the word "random" at all. Since it is
    empirically obvious that genes can and do vary, perhaps in a number of ways
    (recombination; adding or using genetic material from other organisms;
    modifications caused by local deviations in chemical concentrations,
    temperature, radiation, etc.; and small changes that turn existing genetic
    material on or off, etc.), and since, *whatever* the cause or nature of
    these changes, they sometimes *do* produce offspring genomes that are more
    complex than the parent genomes, variation certainly *does* seem to be a
    viable explanation for the *origin* of complexity in living things.

    Selection only determines *which* increases in complexity will be allowed
    to reproduce (and perhaps generate *further* complexity).

    This brings up the issue of complexity in nature. Evolutionists in general
    do *not* claim that naturalistic evolution explains complexity in nature
    generally, but only in living things.

    Finally, did you even bother to read what Richard Wein (and I) had to say
    about the argument referred to in the title of this thread? Do you even
    *begin* to grasp why we hold such arguments in such low esteem? Doesn't it
    matter to you that ID theorists are using arguments such as that? That they
    spout such arguments out at every opportunity without spending even a few
    *seconds* considering whether such arguments have any merit at all? I could
    give you example after example of arguments equally atrocious from
    Johnson's books (I've already mentioned a few and have analyzed at least
    one in some depth just recently).

    What we see from you is not recognition that these arguments *are*
    atrocious, but rather constant ignoring of your own claim that, "In the
    end it will be the arguments of each side that impress the public - not the
    credentials." The public, in general, does not care about the quality of
    arguments. That is why Johnson has so many followers. That is why Hitler
    had so many followers. Insofar as the public supports evolution at all,
    it's not because it understands and accepts the arguments. It's because
    scientists and intellectuals have accepted it and continue to support it.

    Depending on the public to recognize sound arguments in issues like this is
    silly when the public has been "educated" *not* to think, not to understand
    rational epistemology, not to seek fundamentals, etc.

    Huxter is right to be saddened by the fact that creationists and their
    modern intellectual "offspring" (ID folk) too often get away with
    pseudo-credentials being used to support arguments that are no good at all.
    Why *doesn't* it bother you that such arguments are often accepted by the
    media and the public?