Re: Teach the Controversy

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 10:37:06 EDT

    From: Wesley R. Elsberry <welsberr@inia.cls.org>

    >Was anyone else bothered by the non-analogous analogy in the
    >WSJ piece? Scopes was debarred by the Butler Act from teaching
    >a scientific concept in a science class. Various ID proponents
    >complain that something that is not clearly science is not
    >taught in science classes. These don't look at all analogous to
    >me.

    Playing devil's advocate for a moment, I have to make the point that ID
    proponents claim that their material *is* science. So I think you're begging
    the question here.

    The real question is how do we decide what is or isn't science when there's
    a dispute. And the only sensible answer I can think of is to listen to what
    the professional scientists say. Since the vast majority of professional
    scientists--and especially those in the relevant fields--do not accept that
    ID is science, schools should not teach it as science. It's crazy to think
    that teachers or students are in a better position than the scientific
    community to judge what is science. If ID proponents *do* insist that the
    decision about what to teach as science be left up to individual teachers,
    then that's a recipe for educational anarchy. Teachers then could (and some
    would) teach OEC, YEC, flat-earthism, Atlantis, astrology, etc. And why stop
    at the sciences? To be consistent, history teachers should be allowed to
    teach any kind of revisionism they like, such as Holocaust denial.

    As usual, ID proponents are not thinking through the logical implications
    of their arguments. Or else they're asking for special treatment for ID,
    i.e. that it be exempt from the same scrutiny which is applied to other
    claimants to scientific respectability.

    Richard Wein (Tich)