Teach the Controversy

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 01:05:56 EDT

    Bill Wald wrote:

    BW>The point being that the typical kid doesn't have the need or
    BW>the ability to understand anything about abiogenesis or any
    BW>other kind of genesis. The entire argument is rediculous
    BW>until high school graduates can again read and write.

    I don't think it at all ridiculous to reserve the science
    classroom for science. While not all high school graduates
    can read and write, some of them do. Why agree to teach
    non-science in science classrooms simply because other parts
    of the curriculum have other problems?

    Was anyone else bothered by the non-analogous analogy in the
    WSJ piece? Scopes was debarred by the Butler Act from teaching
    a scientific concept in a science class. Various ID proponents
    complain that something that is not clearly science is not
    taught in science classes. These don't look at all analogous to
    me.

    Wesley