Re: Teach the Controversy

From: billwald@juno.com
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 23:38:10 EDT

    >I notice that Mr. Easterbrook doesn't suggest in which non-science
    >class Intelligent Design non-science controversies should be taught.

    Prior to the 20th cent 80% of the population made a living by farming,
    logging, fishing . . . .
    Thus the vast majority learned their "life skills" at home or on the job.
    Hardly anyone went to school to learn how to make a living. Except for
    the professions, teaching, medicine, engineering . . . even college
    credits were mostly in the classics and philosophy.

    It wasn't until John Dewey and the shift to repetative factory work that
    grade schools and high school switched to teaching technical trade stuff
    specifically to qualify the students to do factory work. When I graduated
    from high school in '58 I could have handled most of the availabe jobs
    except for those which required an apprenticeship.

    Thanks to the egalitarian dumbing-down of the American school system
    there isn't much of anything being taugh in public schools. The official
    policy comming out of Washington is the "educational" goal is a minimum
    qualification for basic entry level blue collar and clerical jobs.

    The point being that the typical kid doesn't have the need or the ability
    to understand anything about abiogenesis or any other kind of genesis.
    The entire argument is rediculous until high school graduates can again
    read and write.

    billwald@juno.com
    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.