Re: A Question of Abiogenesis

From: Steven P Crawford (stevenpcrawford@juno.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 23:15:25 EDT

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 14:25:54 -0700 Tedd Hadley <hadley@reliant.yxi.com>
    writes:

    > Well, considering that the most single-minded passion of all
    > critters smaller than a breadbox (and most larger) is wolfing
    > down food so that they can reproduce more hungry critters, the
    > idea of having nutrient-rich building blocks lying around long
    > enough to even ponder the possibility of assembly is about as
    > likely as the idea of a box of Twinkies (tm) growing mold at a
    > diet-camp cafeteria.

    I thought about this possibility, and I confess that my knowledge of
    microbial decomposition of organic matter is at best sketchy. My post
    even mentioned how that biomolecules would probably not remain intact for
    very long. Yet, what kind of fragments do bacteria leave behind after
    they're through? If these remnants are more complicated than the most
    basic elements and compounds, then it seems that rudimentary, first-step
    self-organization of molecules (as Darwinsts envision) should be
    observable in today's world. The fact that even at this modest level it
    does not appear to be naturally occurring at all (evidenced by the
    apparent lack of Darwinist trumpeting about it) still leaves the question
    needing an answer.

    Likewise, we could be doing laboratory experiments where the absence of
    microbes could be ensured. We could place a bunch of bacteria in a test
    tube, wait for all of them to die, and watch the remaining biomolecules
    under differing circumstances. Has any experiments like this ever been
    done? It would seem to be an ideal set-up for the self-organization of
    proto-lifeforms since the kind of complex "primordial soup" that many
    Darwinists envision would be present. (Have I just proposed someone's
    PhD dissertation?) (-:

    Steve C.

    Steve C.
    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!