A Question of Abiogenesis

From: Steven P Crawford (stevenpcrawford@juno.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 09:54:54 EDT

    Here's a question that I've been pondering, and I was wondering what kind
    of answers are given to it:

    In today's environments, there is a rich and ready source of biochemical
    and genetic raw materials. As organisms die and decay, carbohydrates,
    lipids, amino acids, and even nucleic acids are filtered into the
    surrounding environs. These may not remain intact for long, but at least
    fragments of them are constantly being spread around. Even the floors of
    our homes and work areas are literally covered with a biochemical film,
    due to our continual shedding of dead skin cells.

    So, then, why is it apparently true that no one is looking for or
    expecting abiogenesis to occur today? With such a rich diversity of
    ambient biomolecules, why is it seemingly unreasonable for us to go into,
    say, a swamp and see if lifeforms or proto-lifeforms are developing?
    This strikes me as a paradox that in the most biochemically rich
    evironments we don't even think life can form. Yet, in relatively
    impoverished settings such as ancient oceans, meteors & comets,
    primordial hydrothermal vents, etc., many of us are absolutely convinced
    that life's generation did occur.

    Is there some basic part of the puzzle that I'm overlooking, or does this
    seem strange to anyone else as well?

    Steve C.
    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.