Re: A Question of Abiogenesis

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 15:08:15 EDT

    Steve C.:

    >So, then, why is it apparently true that no one is looking for or
    >expecting abiogenesis to occur today? With such a rich diversity of
    >ambient biomolecules, why is it seemingly unreasonable for us to go into,
    >say, a swamp and see if lifeforms or proto-lifeforms are developing?
    >This strikes me as a paradox that in the most biochemically rich
    >evironments we don't even think life can form. Yet, in relatively
    >impoverished settings such as ancient oceans, meteors & comets,
    >primordial hydrothermal vents, etc., many of us are absolutely convinced
    >that life's generation did occur.

    Fascinating question!

    I'd like permission to copy this post to a couple of people or perhaps to
    another list and see if I can get an answer that isn't a guess.

    My *guess* is preditors on the microscopic level. Protolifeforms had a
    clear playing field with no competition and lots of time. Now the
    microscopic nitches are extremly full and self-organizing protein chains
    would get absorbed by surrounding bacteria.

    Susan

    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our
    actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only
    morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life.
    --Albert Einstein

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/