Re: Scopes in Reverse

From: Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 09:47:00 EDT

    I tried to send this a couple of days ago, but I don't think it went
    through. Sorry if some get a double posting.

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:58:38 -0500 Chris Cogan <ccogan@telepath.com>
    writes:

    >Is there someone who has gathered
    >information on this issue, to determine if *either* evolution or design
    is
    >being taught, and to what degree? (I know that nearly everyone I've met
    who
    >has exhibited any awareness of it at all has a fantastically shallow
    grasp
    >of it, as if those two pages were all that they had ever seen or heard
    >regarding evolution.)

    Hi Chris,

    A friend of mine who does "understand" evolution from both sides wrote
    the following about an experience he had in the 60s:

                                    ************

    Back in the 60's I was working as a writer with the BSCS (Biological
    Sciences Curriculum Study). The BSCS was funded by the National Science
    Foundation, and our task was to revise an early edition of the Green
    Version (ecological approach). We were assigned to teams of two - a high
    school teacher teamed with a university researcher, and each team was
    assigned four chapters. The human evolution chapter was assigned to ____
    from ____ College in New York. One morning at our offices at the
    University of Colorado in Boulder, ____ came down the hall grunting like
    an ape.

    "What's wrong," we asked him. "Have you been working too hard?"

    "Gentlemen," he said, "I have been looking at all of the evidence for
    human evolution, and frankly, gentlemen, it is not there! Don't get me
    wrong, I believe that human evolution occurred. It's just that we do not
    get the idea of human evolution from the fossils; we import the idea from
    somewhere else."

    "Well," I said, "why don't we tell the kids that. Maybe we could show
    them a variety of primate fossils and ask them what conclusion they would
    reach." It was then that ____, the chairman of our writing committee,
    sharply spoke up: "We can't," he said. "We are being paid to teach
    evolution."

    And so the book was written without even a hint that the writers did not
    believe the fossils supported the concept of human evolution.

                                    ***********

    My friend later became a Christian and ceased to believe in evolution.

    There is an analysis of the science textbooks publishers orffered to the
    public schools in Alabama in 1995, which may be found at:

                    http://www.arn.org/docs/anderson/analysis_main.htm

    If you read this, I think you'll find that, just as my friend discovered
    in the 60s, textbook publishers are still attempting to force-feed
    evolution to our children, to the exclusion of any other possibility.

    A statement from one of the proposed textbooks was widely quoted during
    the time leading up to the State School Board's meeting to select texts
    for the next six years. From _Biology, Visualizing Life_, Johnson, Holt
    Rinehart Winston, 1994, p 453: "You are an animal, and share a common
    heritage with earthworms......" That didn't play too well here in
    Alabama; the backlash was largely responsible for the State School
    Board's approval of the textbook insert now found in every biology
    textbook in Alabama. The insert is in Appendix A of the above-referenced
    textbook analysis.

    It's been six years, and science books in Alabama are up for review
    again. Should be interesting.

    Bill