Re: Scopes in Reverse

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 23:11:12 EDT

    >>Chris
    >>Is there someone who has gathered information on this issue, to determine
    >>if *either* evolution or design is being taught, and to what degree? (I
    >>know that nearly everyone I've met who has exhibited any awareness of it
    >>at all has a fantastically shallow grasp of it, as if those two pages
    >>were all that they had ever seen or heard regarding evolution.)

    >Bill
    >Hi Chris,
    >
    >A friend of mine who does "understand" evolution from both sides wrote
    >the following about an experience he had in the 60s:
    >
    ><snip for brevity>
    >There is an analysis of the science textbooks publishers orffered to the
    >public schools in Alabama in 1995, which may be found at:
    >
    > http://www.arn.org/docs/anderson/analysis_main.htm

    Chris

    Thanks, Bill, for the info. I visited the site above, and was disappointed
    in both the material from the textbooks and ARN's treatment of it. In some
    cases, I found their remarks accurate. In others, they seemed to be
    imitating Stephen Jones by reading into the quotations implications that
    were not there.

    My impression of the textbooks gained by this indirect route is that we are
    not, except in a shallow, almost cliche-ic way, teaching evolutionary
    theory to our children, but, rather, merely, for the most part, giving some
    of the *conclusions* of the theory. My guess is that this dumbing down of
    the theory is done in the interests of passing on the surface of evolution
    without having to bother presenting the real evidence and the real
    arguments in such a way that it could be understood by youngsters. In
    effect, both the facts related to evolution and the theory itself have been
    reduced to the printed equivalent of sound-bytes.

    But, this supports the view that I pretty much expected it to: Evolution as
    it is, and evolutionary theory as it is, are *not* being taught in the
    public school system. I know that I was taught almost nothing about
    evolution in my biology classes in high school, in California, in the early
    sixties, and I know that today I only *extremely* rarely meet anyone who
    has much more understanding of evolution as fact or evolution as theory
    than I was given in high school. I include thirty years of living in the
    San Francisco Bay Area, as well as my more-recent experience in Oklahoma.

    In short, neither the average supporter of teaching evolution in schools
    nor those who seek to pretend that ID theory or YEC creationism are science
    understand evolution as an observational fact (based on observations of
    presently-living organisms and on observations of fossils, etc.) or modern
    evolutionary theory as to why and how that evolution occurs.

    ARN and other such organizations do not help by their pretense that
    supernaturalism is just another metaphysical assumption like the assumption
    that there is a natural world. We can *see* the natural world, and touch
    it, etc. We can reliably test for its existence and basic factuality. We
    *can't* do this with any supernatural world that might be claimed to exist,
    or any supernatural God who might be claimed to hang out there with his
    buds. By the very nature of the claim, supernaturalism involves a burden of
    proof that the claim that there is a natural world does not involve
    (because, for the existence of the natural world, that burden has long
    since been carried). Yet ARN, like Phillip Johnson and Stephen Jones,
    pretends that these two claims are on an equal footing.

    Naturalism, despite Jones' claims, does not involve the claim that *only*
    the natural world exists. It includes this idea only as a *presumption*
    because of the lack of any *evidence* for a non-natural or supernatural
    world. As such, there is no burden of proof for it, any more than there is
    a burden of proof for the presumption that a man found dead with an
    apparent bullet-hole through his head was not killed by aliens from another
    galaxy.

    It's probable that some or all of the books mentioned do not deal with the
    issue of assumptions (and burden of proof) adequately, but their apparent
    alternative is not acceptable either.

    Chris Cogan