Re: Two alternatives to theistic design theory, etc.

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 12:40:19 EDT

    At 03:05 PM 06/27/2000, you wrote:
    >From: Chris Cogan <ccogan@telepath.com>
    >
    > >A while back Stephen Jones claimed that atheists had no choice
    > >but to believe in evolution. I gave two alternatives, one based on
    > >the idea that the universe might be infinite (though, obviously, it
    > >would only need to be very large for my argument to work). I did
    > >not claim that either of these alternatives was in fact true, though
    > >Stephen consistently treated my exposition of them as claims of
    > >their truth, apparently because he has not yet resolved his
    > >problems with reading that were pointed out to him over a year
    > >and a half ago by others and myself (perhaps he was unable to
    > >read our remarks pointing out that he had this problem!).
    >
    >Indeed. One can think of any number of alternatives to evolution that an
    >atheist *might* believe. An atheist might believe, for example, that the
    >species just popped into existence from nowhere. An atheist might believe
    >that he is the only conscious entity to exist, that he has always existed
    >(but has a bad memory), and that everything he experiences is an illusion.
    >An atheist's beliefs don't *have* to be rational and well-informed, any more
    >than a theist's do.
    >
    >I would say that any rational, well-informed person, whether atheist *or*
    >theist, has no choice but to believe in evolution.

    Given the evidence, yes. However, *if* naturalistic evolution were to be
    found to be truly inadequate to explain life on Earth, such alternatives as
    I proposed would then become candidates for more serious consideration.

    >Stephen's point is a red herring anyway (surprise, surprise!). Most atheists
    >become atheists as a result (in part) of accepting evolution; not
    >the other way around.

    I'm not sure about that, but I agree that it's not really relevant whether
    one is an atheist or not; what's relevant is the empirical evidence and the
    general scientific grounding for evolution, not one's belief or non-belief
    in a Big Guy in the Sky. Of course, Stephen's problem, and that of many
    others, is that they take their belief in their *particular* Big Guy to be
    the basis for evaluating both evidence and theories. Since their particular
    Big Guy is a creationist, all they can do is try to find ways to reject or
    reinterpret the facts, no matter how arbitrary and ad hoc this all gets.

    --Chris