Two alternatives to theistic design theory, etc.

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 12:14:18 EDT

    Rich:
    >Indeed. One can think of any number of alternatives to evolution that an
    >atheist *might* believe. An atheist might believe, for example, that the
    >species just popped into existence from nowhere. An atheist might believe
    >that he is the only conscious entity to exist, that he has always existed
    >(but has a bad memory), and that everything he experiences is an illusion.
    >An atheist's beliefs don't *have* to be rational and well-informed, any more
    >than a theist's do.

    >I would say that any rational, well-informed person, whether atheist *or*
    >theist, has no choice but to believe in evolution.

    >Stephen's point is a red herring anyway (surprise, surprise!). Most atheists
    >become atheists as a result (in part) of accepting evolution; not
    >the other way around.

    Hi Richard,

    This is quite an admission if true. (That most atheists become atheists as a
    result of accepting evolution.) . Actually, I would correct the statement to
    say people become atheists "as a result of accepting Darwinism". Stephen,
    and most proponents of ID, accept "evolution" as some probable form of common
    descent. Random mutation and natural selection as the mechanism of creative
    change in organisms is what most "critics of evolution" challenge. Richard's
    admission seems to verify the accusation that belief in atheism is a
    requirement for belief in Darwinism.

    If I had lived at a time when religion had power over what science could
    investigate, I would have resented that power. Similarly, I now resent the
    power of atheism to define science, by stating nature is a strictly
    naturalistic process. No one knows whether or not nature is strictly a
    naturalistic process. Chris seems to think his speculations about an
    infinite universe or multiple universes is more rational than speculations
    about God or gods. Even if his speculations were the more rational, they
    would be no more likely to be verified. If nature is the result of a design,
    knowledge about the nature of the designer will remain illusive. What
    possible reason could anyone have for this on-going emotional objection to
    the concept of ID-other than religious objections? Darwinists appear to
    object to any concept that allows the possibility of anything beyond
    naturalism. Denial of all teleology is a tenet of Darwinism. If design
    exists, the function of science should be to try to figure out as many of the
    details of that design as possible. There should be room in science for both
    materialists and those of us who suspect there is more to reality than will
    ever be described naturalistically.

    If some theists somehow manage to convince themselves that a view of nature
    as being the result of a series of random events, devoid of all purpose, is
    compatible with theism, I have no objection--as long as they weren't coerced
    into such a belief.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan