Re: Two alternatives to theistic design theory, etc.

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 12:55:42 EDT

    >Rich:
    >>Indeed. One can think of any number of alternatives to evolution that an
    >>atheist *might* believe. An atheist might believe, for example, that the
    >>species just popped into existence from nowhere. An atheist might believe
    >>that he is the only conscious entity to exist, that he has always existed
    >>(but has a bad memory), and that everything he experiences is an illusion.
    >>An atheist's beliefs don't *have* to be rational and well-informed, any more
    >>than a theist's do.
    >
    >>I would say that any rational, well-informed person, whether atheist *or*
    >>theist, has no choice but to believe in evolution.
    >
    >>Stephen's point is a red herring anyway (surprise, surprise!). Most atheists
    >>become atheists as a result (in part) of accepting evolution; not
    >>the other way around.

    I disagree. I think most atheists become nonbelievers because they can't
    believe the unbelievable. They've seen prayer be no more effective than
    crossing one's fingers and making a wish. They've seen all the religions of
    the world having similar beliefs and all but "that one" (identical to the
    others) are false. Why make an exception? All the gods throughout history
    but "that one" are false. How hard is it to disbelieve just one more? I
    became an atheist decades before I discovered evolution and the evol/crea
    debate.

    Bertvan:
    >This is quite an admission if true. (That most atheists become atheists as a
    >result of accepting evolution.) . Actually, I would correct the statement to
    >say people become atheists "as a result of accepting Darwinism".

    "It is indeed remarkable that [The Theory of Evolution] has progressively
    taken root in the
    minds of researchers following a series of discoveries made in different
    spheres of
    knowledge.

    "The convergence, neither sought nor provoked, of results of studies undertaken
    independently from each other constitutes in itself a significant argument
    in favour of this
    theory."--Pope John Paul, Oct. 24, 1996

    so is the Pope about to become an atheist? Why is it that Jesuits have been
    teaching evolution in Catholic high schools since the sixties? because they
    had become atheists? I kinda doubt it. The link between evolution and
    relgion is and has always been spurious. Dawkins is an idiot. I know I've
    said that before, but I think it can't be repeated enough. He may be a fine
    zoologist, but philosophically he's an idiot. I find it hard to believe
    Richard fell for his silliness.

    >There should be room in science for both
    >materialists and those of us who suspect there is more to reality than will
    >ever be described naturalistically.

    There are lots of scientists who suspect there is more to reality than what
    can be observed and verified in the peer reviewed literature. But those
    suspicions are not part of their scientific life. Science is an observation
    of what is there. Verifiable observation--we can both observe it. We can go
    out and get six or seven other people and they can observe it too. People
    who speak different languages and who are from different cultures can
    observe it too. That's science.

    The warm fuzzies I feel for the Magic Muffin in the sky is *not* observable
    (nor is the Magic Muffin) and there's no room for either things in science

    >If some theists somehow manage to convince themselves that a view of nature
    >as being the result of a series of random events, devoid of all purpose, is
    >compatible with theism, I have no objection--as long as they weren't coerced
    >into such a belief.

    it is impossible to coerce belief. Copernicus believed the earth revolved
    around the sun. He was coerced into keeping his findings secret until after
    his death (in order to avoid hastening that death), but coercion could not
    change his belief.

    Susan

    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our
    actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only
    morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life.
    --Albert Einstein

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/