Re: evidence and logic

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@cab.com)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 20:18:58 EDT

    Susan Brassfield wrote:

    >The fossil record has lots of examples of finely graded transitions from
    >one organism to a radically different one.

    This is completely wrong, unless you think eohippus is radically
    different from equus. Even if you do think that, there aren't "lots of
    examples" of that quality.

    >At the same time there is also evidence of "leaps" but not true saltation.
    >Please explain what you are talking about.

    I don't understand the distinction. One is Anglo-Saxon, the other is
    Latin.

    >I read a Gould essay some years back that explained that large morphological
    >changes can sometimes be brought about by small genetic changes--rate of
    >growth, for example--but that's not what most people mean by "saltation."
    >Saltation as such, as far as I can recall, was popular in the late 19th
    century
    >before the discovery of genetics. Surely that's not what you mean!

    Obviously a tiny glitch early in the developmental process could have
    profound effects on the final result; I never understood why that's supposed
    to be an insight.

    The only connection between saltation and genetics is one that makes an
    opposite point to yours: genetics meant that the factors of inheritance don't
    blend, they're particulate. One new gene can make a big change, and the
    new feature won't be swamped out or diluted, it will spread through the
    population intact.

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  415-648-0208  ~  cliff@cab.com