Life

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 14:10:14 EDT

    Steve C:
    >Why do we have to recognize these qualities of life through
    >science. Scientists do not ignore them, we just have no experiments to
    >test them with. They are better appreciated and understood using other
    >ways of knowing.

    Bertvan:
    Hi Steve, If science has no way of dealing with those aspects of life that
    distinguish it from non-life (free will, consciousness, intelligence,
    purpose, creativity, spontaneity and choice), it might be prudent for science
    to be a little more tolerant of other peoples thoughts on the subject. As it
    is, biology is the only science that asks the courts to enforce a ruling that
    only their explanation of life's diversity be taught in schools. I have
    observed that intolerance is often the product of insecurity. If Darwinists
    were all that secure, they wouldn't worry about conflicting theories such as
    ID. ID may never be proved, but eventually even a majority of scientists may
    come to accept it as obvious.

    Perhaps ways will be found to test some of the qualities of living things.
    We will never see free will, just as we will never see gravity. However I
    think evidence might be developed showing that free will can affect the
    world of matter. In my opinion bio feed back has already shown that.

    Further, I would argue there is only one "way of knowing". Some things we
    "know" can be proved and others can't, but even beliefs that were once
    accepted as proved were later replaced with more sophisticated
    understanding.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan