Re: Suspicions aroused...

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 06:31:30 EDT

    Bertvan:
    >>Long after ID is the majority assumption in the US, England will be stuck
    >in
    >>the dark age of "random mutation and natural selection". Why? England
    >>doesn't have an ACLU.

    We do have an equivalent of the ACLU. It's called Liberty (formerly the
    NCCL). (http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/). It isn't very concerned
    with religious matters, probably because religion isn't a major
    issue here.

    Susan Brassfield:
    >England has a state church. You, as an agnostic living in England would
    >have your taxes go to support a religion in which you did not believe. The
    >writers of our constitution thought that was a tad unfair. I agree. So does
    >the ACLU and if you were smart, you would agree also.

    The Church of England itself is not supported by taxpayers. Its income comes
    from donations and investments
    (http://www.cofe.anglican.org/about/frame_funding.html).

    On the other hand, the C of E has more than its fair share of
    grant-maintained schools, compared with other religions, and those are
    supported by taxes. (http://www.cofe.anglican.org/about/educator.html)
    But these schools are required to teach the national curriculum, and I'm
    sure they don't teach creationism!

    The establishment of the Church of England doesn't have much real effect any
    more, though it still causes controversy occasionally. For example, Moslems
    have complained (particularly at the time of the Salman Rushdie affair)
    about the fact that Christianity is legally protected from "blasphemy", but
    their religion isn't. The last successful prosecution for blasphemy was in
    1977. (http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/ihr/reviews/parsons.html)

    Needless to say, I'm in favour of dis-establishing the Church of England
    (and so are a majority of people according to a recent poll), but the issue
    is mostly symbolic.

    By the way, that poll indicated that 62% of people in Britain believe in
    some sort of God (but only 32% in a "personal" God, whatever that means).
    This figure is down from 76% in 1980, but seems to be stabilizing.

    Richard Wein (Tich)