Re: Intellectual Integrity

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 19:07:41 EDT

    Troy:

    I'm sorry that you fail to appreciate the uniqueness of 37; you have
    probably overlooked the content of Section 4 of my page where I provide
    some helpful graphics to make the point. However, perhaps the following
    experiment will quickly place the matter in perspective:

    Taking a bag of circular coins of the same denomination, one can prove
    to one's own satisfaction that 37 of them can be arranged symmetrically,
    in tight formation on a flat surface, in 3 distinct ways: - as hexagon,
    as hexagram (or 6-pointed star), and as octagon (or truncated square).
    This absolute property is neither bettered nor equalled by any other
    number, and it follows that 37 as a number per se is, undoubtedly,
    extraordinary.

    Presumably, you will already know that, as a denary object, 37 also has
    interesting properties that are independent of the foregoing. I have
    listed a number of these in Section 3 of my page.

    I hope we can now agree that there is a little more to these matters
    than your playful response would suggest! (By the way, the biblical
    associations with this number are briefly summarised in Section 6.)

    Sincerely,

    Vernon

            http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/Symb.htm