Re: Intelligent Design 1/3

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 14:21:10 EDT

    >SB>Johnson has popularized it as a new line of rhetoric, but if the idea had
    >>any *scientific* merit, it might not have "fallen out of favor" in the 19th
    >>century.
    >
    >As Susan's own "rhetoric" shows, in the area of evolution, "scientific merit"
    >comes a poor second to philosophical prejudice.

    I have a strong prejudice in favor of factual evidence. None is possible
    with ID. There is only air, most of it hot.

    >The simple fact is that
    >Paley's argument has never been refuted, but was just ignored:
    >
    >"But exactly where, we may ask, was Paley refuted? . . . "
    (Behe M.J., "Darwin's Black Box," 1996, p.213).

    that Behe said it isn't exactly compelling. This is just argument by assertion.

    >>SJ>That's like saying that if the canvas a painting is painted on is designed
    >>>then one can't detect the painting itself is designed!
    >
    >SB>one can distinguish the picture of the tree and the canvas itself and the
    >>paint *from the tree*. You can say the picture of the tree, the canvas, and
    >>the paint are designed--by humans--and the tree is not. IF the canvas, the
    >>paint, the tree, and the picture of the tree, etc. are *all* designed, then
    >>there is no backdrop against which to distinguish the designed thing.
    >
    >Maybe Susan should go into an art gallery and have a look around, but don't
    >tell anyone she can't tell the difference between the painting on the
    >walls and the paintings on the walls!

    The paint, the canvas and the walls are all designed by humans. I can
    distinguish walls from cliffs.

    >Susan still hasn't grasped the fact that there can be different *levels* of
    >design, which are easily distinguished from each other. Leonardo's fresco
    >"The Last Supper" is painted on a monastery wall. Now an intelligent
    >human designer had designed that wall, but we can tell the difference
    >between that level of design and Leonardo's, fresco.

    "levels" of design? are you serious? The walls, the painting and the canvas
    are all equally designed!

    >>SJ>The whole ID movement's argument is about detecting the "painting" level
    >>>of design, superimposed on the "canvas" level of design.
    >
    >SB>the the painting and the canvas are obviously designed--by humans-- and are
    >>easily distinguishable from the "nondesigned" world.
    >
    >It is only Susan's materialistic-naturalistic *philosophy* which says that
    >the world is "nondesigned". The Christian theist's philosophy says that
    >the world is *designed*.

    do you think I really meant that? or do you think I may have meant
    "undesigned by humans" (since that was what I was talking about.) And thank
    you again for confirming the religious origin of the design "theory"

    Stephen:
    >>>night sky. The impression of design was overwhelming, and I said to myself
    >>>"there *must* be a God! But I remained a true agnostic. That is I believed
    >>>there was a God but there was no way of knowing anything more about
    >>>Him.
    >
    >SB>I agree that "design" and "god" are intimately linked as you have shown.
    >>Design is not science, it's religion.
    >
    >My experience refutes that. I knew nothing of "religion". I was convinced
    >*intellectually* of design. So are many (if not most) people who are not
    >religious. Look at Berthajane. She is an *agnostic* yet she believes the
    >universe is designed. Only a tiny minority of hard-core philosophical
    >materialists deny design.

    no one denies *human* design. BTW if you had witnessed a volcano wiping out
    every man, woman, and child in a town would you have said "there *must* be
    a god!" The natural world is evil (from the point of view of humans) as
    well as beautiful. Or are volcanos only lightly designed?

    >SB>It's ok with me if you believe all
    >>that stuff, just don't try to make it *science.*
    >
    >It is not a case of me *making* it "science". If it is really true that
    >an Intelligent Designer: 1) at one level designed the laws and constants
    >of the universe to make life's continuation possible; and 2) at another
    >level introduced new information at strategic points to originate and
    >progressively develop life, then that *is* a proper subject for
    >"science".

    how do you distinguish between levels? Complexity? Even rocks are complex
    at the molecular level, so are they more or less designed than humans?
    There's only about 2 or 3% genetic difference between humans and everything
    else alive. So are we (humans) more or less designed and how do you tell?

    >SB>The idea that *everything*
    >>is designed (by the Judeo-Christian god of course)
    >
    >It is not the ID movement's claim that the Designer was necessarily "the
    >Judeo-Christian god". It is a *Christian* claim that the Designer was "the
    >Judeo-Christian god". Some IDers are not Christians.

    it's true, there are a few non-Christian ID proponents. If you don't much
    about science or the scientific method or the evidence which supports
    evolution, then the ID rhetoric is quite persuasive.

    >SB>saves Genesis the
    >>indignity of trying to be a science text and restores its original message.
    >
    >Who is arguing that "Genesis" is "a science text"? The great Christian
    >Reformer John Calvin in his commentary on Genesis wrote regarding Genesis
    >1:6, "Let there be a firmament":
    >
    >"For, to my mind, this is a certain principle, that nothing is here
    >treated of
    >but the visible form of the world. He who would learn astronomy, and
    >other recondite arts, let him go elsewhere." (Calvin J., "A Commentary on
    >Genesis," [1554], Banner of Truth: London, 1965, reprint, p.79).
    >
    >The fact is that Susan, like Clarence Darrow, *wants* creationists to all be
    >Genesis literalists in order for her to ridicule them so that their
    >arguments could be ignored:

    why, that would be ad hominem :-) Ideas should be considered *where ever*
    the come from (like talk.origins). I'm no Clarence Darrow, but I noticed
    recently we *have* been arguing along the same lines.

    "To say that a certain scheme or process shows order or system, one must
    have some norm or pattern by which to determine whether the matter
    concerned shows any design or order. We have a norm, a pattern, and that is
    the universe itself, from which we fashion our ideas. We have observed this
    universe and its operation and we call it order. To say that the universe
    is patterned on order is to say that the universe is patterned on the
    universe. It can mean nothing else." ("The Delusion of Design and Purpose,"
    Clarence Darrow, from "The Story of My Life")

    SJ:
    >And if "Design is undetectable by science" the someone should tell
    >archaeologists and SETI researchers!

    archaeologists can compare an axe handle to tree limb and detect which one
    is designed.

    >>>2. Scientists don't restrain their *non*-"religious beliefs". Evolutionists
    >>>are often pontificating about and sometimes ridiculing "religious beliefs".
    >>>In my Biology class my two lecturers made known they were atheists
    >>>(why?) and
    >>>they continually interject snide comments about God and religion.
    >
    >SB>because you and your co-religionists are always attacking them.
    >
    >Well, first, no one in my "Biology class" was "attacking them". And if they
    >keep on "pontificating about and sometimes ridiculing `religious beliefs'"
    >then of course "religionists" are going to attack them.

    actually until the religious fundamentalists started to get political in
    the late 70s and early 80s. Biologists pretty much ignored religionist
    sniping as beneath notice. However when fundamentalists tried to get laws
    on the books in Arkansas and elsewhere to have the Bible taught as science,
    then the biologists started having to address the problem. Yep, they are
    mad.

    >SB>They waste
    >>a lot of time defending themselves from religious nit-picking and outright
    >>propaganda, distortions and misrepresentations.
    >
    >As mostly atheists they have chosen to declare `war' on Christianity, so they
    >should not be surprised when Christians defend themselves.

    They ignored you before the outright propaganda, distortions and
    misrepresentations. Someday I may start a campaign alledging that
    Christians are all Satan worshipers. (I threaten to do it from time to
    time.) I could easily pull quotes from the bible out of context to prove
    it. And, of course, there's the Christians slaughtering people in Ireland,
    Bosnia, etc. to bolster my case. How defensive do you think you could get?
    After all, you should be safe in the knowledge that it's all not true! It
    simply shouldn't matter what lies I told about you.

    >SB>your two statements seem to conflict. Canvases and paintings contrast
    >>themselves with the natural world. Therefore I thought you were saying
    >>Dembski believed that some things were natural and not designed.
    >
    >No. Dembski as a *Christian* believes everything is designed. But Dembski
    >also as an *IDer* believes that some of this design can be empirically
    >detected:

    so if everything is designed to what is he comparing design in order to
    detect it?

    Stephen quotes Dembski:
    >"I use design to denote what it is about intelligently produced objects that
    >enables us to tell that they are intelligently produced and not simply the
    >result of natural causes.

    but this sounds like he's saying only some things are designed.

    Dembski continues:
    >When intelligent agents act, they leave behind a
    >characteristic trademark or signature. The scholastics used to refer to the
    >'"vestiges in creation." The Latin vestigium means footprint. It was thought
    >that God, though not directly present to our senses, had nonetheless left his
    >"footprints" throughout creation.

    a footprint is only visible against a background of non-footprints. Dembski
    *is* saying that some things are natural and not designed.

    >Hugh Ross has referred to the
    >"fingerprint of God." It is design in this sense as a trademark, signatures
    >vestige or fingerprint-that this criterion for discriminating
    >intelligently from
    >unintelligently caused objects is meant to identify." (Dembski W.A.,
    >"Intelligent Design," 1999, p.127).

    so he is saying there are some unintellighently caused objects. How does
    this agree with what you were saying?

    >SB>but I don't
    >>think it had anything to do with "Darwin's anti-design spin." Darwin was
    >>terrified of you creationists. That's why he waited to the last possible
    >>moment to publish his book.
    >
    >So what changed between 1837 and 1858? Was there a sudden decline in
    >"creationists" in only 21 years?

    are you serious? He was about to lose his priority in one of the greatest
    and most powerful ideas in human history! He took to his bed from sheer
    nerves, wrote "please don't hate me" letters to all his clergy friends, and
    finally sucked it up and published. He was not a brave man.

    >And why did Wallace publish his theory of
    >natural selection as soon as he hit on the idea? Darwin had nothing to be
    >"terrified" of - he was a very wealthy man whose scientific career was
    >already established by his papers and books following his Beagle voyage.
    >But Wallace was a comparatively poor person who would have had much more
    >reason to be "terrified of...creationists" if that was the problem.

    Wallace drew a line around humans. According to him everything evolved
    except us. We were created. Darwin knew we were not exempt.

    >The fact is that Darwin delayed publishing his theory because he knew he
    >did not have enough *evidence*:
    >
    >"The problem confronting Darwin at the end of 1838 was not so much the
    >fact that if he communicated his ideas he would be severely criticized, but
    >rather the fact that he did not have very much to communicate. . . . "
    >(Gale B.G., "Evolution Without Evidence," 1982, >p.8).

    that was quite true--in 1838. Here is a quote to add to your collection.
    This is Darwin himself, in his "Autobiography"
    http://149.152.105.38/Honors/EText/Darwin/DarwinAutobiography.html

    -----

    From September 1854 onwards I devoted all my time to arranging my huge pile
    of notes, to
    observing, and experimenting, in relation to the transmutation of species.
    During the voyage of
    the Beagle I had been deeply impressed by discovering in the Pampean
    formation great fossil
    animals covered with armour like that on the existing armadillos; secondly,
    by the manner in
    which closely allied animals replace one another in proceeding southwards
    over the Continent;
    and thirdly, by the South American character of most of the productions of
    the Galapagos
    archipelago, and more especially by the manner in which they differ
    slightly on each island of
    the group; none of these islands appearing to be very ancient in a
    geological sense.

    It was evident that such facts as these, as well as many [119] others could
    be explained on the
    supposition that species gradually become modified; and the subject haunted
    me. But it was
    equally evident that neither the action of the surrounding conditions, nor
    the will of the
    organisms (especially in the case of plants), could account for the
    innumerable cases in which
    organisms of every kind are beautifully adapted to their habits of
    life,-for instance, a
    woodpecker or tree-frog to climb trees, or a seed for dispersal by hooks or
    plumes. I had always
    been much struck by such adaptations, and until these could be explained it
    seemed to me
    almost useless to endeavour to prove by indirect evidence that species have
    been modified.

    After my return to England it appeared to me that by following the example
    of Lyell in Geology,
    and by collecting all facts which bore in any way on the variation of
    animals and plants under
    domestication and nature, some light might perhaps be thrown on the whole
    subject. My first
    note-book was opened in July 1837. I worked on true Baconian principles,
    and without any
    theory collected facts on a wholesale scale, more especially with respect
    to domesticated
    productions, by printed enquiries, by conversation with skilful breeders
    and gardeners, and by
    extensive reading. When I see the list of books of all kinds which I read
    and abstracted, including
    whole series of Journals and Transactions, I am surprised at my industry. I
    soon perceived that
    selection was the keystone of man's success in making useful races of
    animals and plants. But
    how selection could be applied to organisms living in a [120] state of
    nature remained for some
    time a mystery to me.

    In October 1838, that is, fifteen months after I had begun my systematic
    enquiry, I happened
    to read for amusement Malthus on Population, and being well prepared to
    appreciate the
    struggle for existence which everywhere goes on from long-continued
    observation of the habits
    of animals and plants, it at once struck me that under these circumstances
    favourable
    variations would tend to be preserved, and unfavourable ones to be
    destroyed. The result of
    this would be the formation of new species. Here, then, I had at last got a
    theory by which to
    work; but I was so anxious to avoid prejudice, that I determined not for
    some time to write even
    the briefest sketch of it. In June 1842 I first allowed myself the
    satisfaction of writing a very
    brief abstract of my theory in pencil in 35 pages; and this was enlarged
    during the summer of
    1844 into one of 230 pages, which I had fairly copied out and still possess.

    But at that time I overlooked one problem of great importance; and it is
    astonishing to me,
    except on the principle of Columbus and his egg, how I could have
    overlooked it and its solution.
    This problem is the tendency in organic beings descended from the same
    stock to diverge in
    character as they become modified. That they have diverged greatly is
    obvious from the
    manner in which species of all kinds can be classed under genera, genera
    under families, families
    under suborders, and so forth; and I can remember the very spot in the
    road, whilst in my
    carriage, when to my joy the [121] solution occurred to me; and this was
    long after I had come
    to Down. The solution, as I believe, is that the modified offspring of all
    dominant and increasing
    forms tend to become adapted to many and highly diversified places in the
    economy of nature.

    Early in 1856 Lyell advised me to write out my views pretty fully, and I
    began at once to do so
    on a scale three or four times as extensive as that which was afterwards
    followed in my Origin of
    Species; yet it was only an abstract of the materials which I had
    collected, and I got through
    about half the work on this scale. But my plans were overthrown, for early
    in the summer of
    1858 Mr Wallace, who was then in the Malay archipelago, sent me an essay On
    the Tendency of
    Varieties to depart indefinitely from the Original Type; and this essay
    contained exactly the
    same theory as mine. Mr Wallace expressed the wish that if I thought well
    of his essay, I should
    send it to Lyell for perusal.
    -----------

    >>SJ>It is not so much that "Darwinian evolution" itself which "make them"
    >>(i.e.
    >>>Christian theists) "so uncomfortable" but the atheistic spin that has
    >>>increasingly been put on the theory by Darwin and his followers.
    >
    >SB>no. The "atheistic spin" was put on by YOU. Science says nothing about
    >>religion. It is the religionists that decided the thing was "atheistic."
    >
    >No. Darwin himself in the end rejected design (when scientifically he didn't
    >need to) and put his own anti-design spin on the theory:
    >
    >"In the midst of social triumph, however, a note of discord appeared under
    >the surface. For the year 1868 marked the end of Gray's long effort to
    >prevent the complete demise of the doctrine of design in its new Darwinian
    >setting. In 1860 a strong possibility had existed that Gray's adaptation of
    >design to Darwinism, or at least the neutrality of Darwinism in its bearing
    >on ultimate questions, might be the major answer put forth to counteract
    >the onslaughts of Bishop Wilberforce. Darwin had, however, rejected
    >Gray's argument privately. In 1868, Darwin took the final step not only of
    >rejecting the design argument in a very conspicuous place but specifically
    >of linking the rejection to Gray. On the last page of Variation of Plants and
    >Animals under Domestication, he concluded, `However much we may wish
    >it, we can hardly follow Professor Asa Gray in his belief' in lines of
    >beneficent variation. As usual Gray had cheerfully arranged for publication
    >in America, and in a review in the Nation, he answered briefly, seeking to
    >refute a metaphor Darwin used about the builder of a stone house who
    >selected stones of random shapes and sizes." (Dupree A.H., "Asa Gray:
    >American Botanist, Friend of Darwin," 1988, p339)

    Design is religion not part of science and Darwin knew it. So did Gray. The
    fact that "design" is not a part of science does NOT make it "atheistic."

    >>SJ>Besides, atheists have no option but to believe in some form of evolution.
    >
    >SB>that's not true.
    >
    >Well, if that's the case, then maybe Susan could explain what an atheist
    >could believe in other than "some form of evolution"?

    panspermia? aliens did it? Bertvan likes that one, so does Hoyle. Atheists,
    like everyone else, can believe in any damn thing they want to--and often
    do!

    >SB>How would you oblige anyone to believe anything? That's
    >>just your assumption showing that evolution is "atheist."
    >
    >I did not say that "evolution is `atheist'". I said that *denial of design*
    >(i.e. any form of design) was atheist. Clearly there are theists who are
    >evolutionists. Asa Gray for example.

    and the majority of the western world, for another example. However,
    "denial of design" need not be atheist if you believe that EVERYTHING is
    designed. That's all that's required. However, the statement that
    "everything is designed" is a purely religious statement, not a scientific
    one. Science is a method used to study the natural world. *Theology* is
    supposed to study the supernatural world. I agree with Gould that the two
    things address separate human issues and can't be mixed.

    SJ:
    >Susan's prior metaphysical assumption is that there is no God, so it
    >wouldn't matter how good the "evidence" was which pointed to God.
    >Susan would *have* to deny it pointed to God, while she maintained her
    >atheistic metaphysical assumptions.

    If some god appeared to me and several other people all at once--I would
    need independant confirmation of my hallucination :-)--or if there were
    other irrefutable evidence that there was a god then I would have to
    believe in him/her/it. (However, me being who I am, I would not
    necessarily *worship* him/her/it) But I was under the impression that gods
    didn't do that--especially the Judeo-Christian god, because you are
    supposed to believe without evidence. In fact "belief without evidence" is
    one of the definitions of "faith." I've never been physically capable of
    that, but I'm not especially bothered by people who are--all things being
    equal.

    For the record, I know that you can't prove there are no gods. I know that
    atheism is totally unsupported by evidence and I should tell people I'm an
    agnostic (which most of my friends do) but I think most agnostics are just
    lily-livered atheists who don't want to put up with crap from the
    Christians. Remember, I (and my friends) live in Oklahoma where
    Christianity is shoved in your face about every five minutes.

    >SB>So you say. Most Biblical inerrantists identify some parts of the Bible
    >>that they think are "metaphor" or "poetry." That all of you don't agree on
    >>which parts are hard scientific fact and which parts are poetry is among
    >>you guys. I don't really care.
    >
    >So what is left then of Susan's claim that "the whole creationist agenda is
    >to preserve the absolute fact of the Genesis creation"?

    because man had to fall in order for Christ to redeem them and that's
    central. However, the inerrantists to go to the mat to preserve Bishop
    Usher's young earth don't seem to mind much that the bible says
    grasshoppers have four legs, that bats are a kind of bird, that pi equals 3
    and so on. All that stuff is just not important and can be explained away,
    but *Genesis* is *science*.

    >SB>No part of the Bible gets to be taught instead of science.
    >
    >Who is wanting to teach "...the Bible...instead of science"? Even the
    >creation-scientists don't want to do that:
    >
    >"The anti-evolution statutes of the 1920s were not enforced...The Supreme
    >Court eventually held the statutes unconstitutional in 1968, but by then the
    >fundamentalists had changed their objective. Creation research institutes
    >were founded...Their goal was no longer to suppress the teaching of
    >evolution, but to get a fair hearing for their own viewpoint. ... Creation-
    >scientists emphasized that they wanted to present only the scientific
    >arguments in the schools; the Bible itself was not to be taught." (Johnson
    >P.E., "Darwin on Trial," 1993, p.6).

    creation "science" is religion.

    I"m working on my collection of out-of-context quotes. What do you think of
    this one? :-)
    "One reason we evangelicals have had so little impact on secular society with
    our creation teachings is that we try to teach Genesis without presenting a
    testable creation model. We either focus all of our guns on what is wrong
    with naturalism or we duck the issue by claiming that Genesis presents no
    specific creation model. Thus, we are perceived by society as either negative
    or cowardly. "--Hugh Ross, Ph.D. , Summary of Reasons To Believe's
    Testable Creation Model

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/