Re: Gene duplication and design

From: Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 00:53:41 EDT

    At 07:50 PM 4/27/00 -0700, Bill wrote:

    > >>There isn't any experiment or data which demonstrates the existance of
    > >>the concept of free will.
    >
    > >But, surely you contradict yourself by writing the above statement.
    >
    >Why? Maybe God predestinated me writing that sentence from before he
    >created the universe.

    And maybe I'm the reincarnation of HAL.

    I'm feeling much better now Dave.
    Dave .....
    I can't blame you for still being mad.
    Can we talk?

    >There is no objective test for the existance of free will.

    Do you mean proof or test? Oh, sorry. Did God predestine
    you to have your brain wired in such a way that you do not
    believe that there is a proof or test?

    Here is a test. You can come to Columbus and observe my
    behavior for some specified period of time. [please note, this
    is a thought experiment only :-0] . Use whatever analysis
    techniques you want. At the end of the specified time period
    you must submit to me, in writing, your prediction about what
    shirt I will wear the following day. Then we'll wait and see if
    you are right.

    > >>Life only has value in a religious context. (economically and socially,
    > >>some humans have more value as compost than as living entities)
    >
    > >I hope your joking.
    >
    >If we evolved from pond slime AND there is no God then morality equals
    >social contract.

    Argument by assertion.

    Brian Harper
    Associate Professor