Re: Dennett's bad word and Johnson's question

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noe.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 02:06:32 EST

    MikeBGene@aol.com wrote:

    >I'm still trying to find the evidence that mutations and natural selection
    >were indeed the mechanisms behind macroevolution. There seems to be a large
    >consensus that this was the case, but where's the evidence? I understand how
    >various metaphysical views can incorporate natural selection and transform it
    >into the driving mechanism, but apart from those metaphysics, where is the
    >persuasive appeal of such a belief?

    When you eliminate the impossible explanations, what remains, however
    unlikely, is the truth. (I wish I could remember the exact wording of that).
    If you think divine intervention is out, and gradualism is out (as a
    significant
    creative mechanism), and if you believe in naturalistic explanation, then
    macroevolution through RM&NS is all that's left.

    Macroevolution need not occur in the simple way gradual evolution occurs.
    Parabiosis or Siamese-twinning, genomic integration of symbionts, radical
    loss of parts--all these are perfectly attainable through RM&NS. As to direct
    evidence, one must either wait for a time machine, or wait for the unique
    evolutionary mechanisms of half a billion years ago to start functioning
    anew. I don't think those mechanisms are going to work in the present
    well-evolved ecosystem; only in a more benign primitive environment
    could such bizarre experiments gain a foothold.

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  cliff@noe.com