Re: Dennett's bad word and Johnson's question

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 20:33:23 EST

    Bertvan
    > The truth is one doesn't even have to be religious to consider
    > "random mutation and natural selection" a silly explanation for
    > macro evolution.

    Tedd:

    >Why is this a silly explanation?

    Howard:

    >I have no idea why Bertvan considers it silly, but let me explain briefly
    >why I do not.

    I'm still trying to find the evidence that mutations and natural selection
    were indeed the mechanisms behind macroevolution. There seems to be a large
    consensus that this was the case, but where's the evidence? I understand how
    various metaphysical views can incorporate natural selection and transform it
    into the driving mechanism, but apart from those metaphysics, where is the
    persuasive appeal of such a belief?

    Mike