Re: Dennett's bad word and Johnson's question

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 09:10:24 EST

    Hi Cliff,

    I wrote:

    >I'm still trying to find the evidence that mutations and natural selection
    >were indeed the mechanisms behind macroevolution. There seems to be a large
    >consensus that this was the case, but where's the evidence? I understand
    how
    >various metaphysical views can incorporate natural selection and transform
    it
    >into the driving mechanism, but apart from those metaphysics, where is the
    >persuasive appeal of such a belief?

    You replied:

    >When you eliminate the impossible explanations, what remains, however
    >unlikely, is the truth. (I wish I could remember the exact wording of that).
    >If you think divine intervention is out, and gradualism is out (as a
    >significant creative mechanism), and if you believe in naturalistic
    explanation,
    >then macroevolution through RM&NS is all that's left.

    I understand that RM&NS are invoked as a consequence of excluding
    other explanations. In fact, I recently posted a short review of E.G. Leigh's
    article from TREE. He explains:

    "The primary problem with the synthesis is that its makers
    established natural selection as the director of adaptive
    evolution by eliminating competing explanations, not
    by providing evidence that natural selection among
    'random' mutations could, or did, account for observed
    adaptation. Mayr remarked, 'As these non-Darwinian
    explanations were refuted during the synthesis‰¥Ï.natural
    selection automatically became the universal explanation
    of evolutionary change (together with chance factors).'"

    To his credit, Leigh not only recognizes this is a *problem*,
    but also that it is the burden of those who propose RM&NS
    as the drivers of evolution to come up with the evidence for
    such a belief:

    "However, the failure to provide clinching evidence
    gives antidarwinians no reason to substitute natural
    selection for God in their view of the world. Neither
    have antidarwinians any vested interest in a mechanistic
    explanation of the origin and evolution of life; if we
    want them to accept one, it will have to be convincing."

    Unfortunately, while Leigh attempts to find fingerprints
    for the crucial role of natural selection, he does so by
    simply excluding, a priori, intelligent intervention/selection.
    Obviously, if we exclude intelligent intervention for
    metaphysical reasons, we are left only with RM&NS.
    But some of us remain open to *both* possible explanations
    and it thus becomes quite disappointing to realize the
    large consensus about RM&NS is not because of the
    evidence.

    Cliff:

    >Macroevolution need not occur in the simple way gradual evolution occurs.
    >Parabiosis or Siamese-twinning, genomic integration of symbionts, radical
    >loss of parts--all these are perfectly attainable through RM&NS.

    I can think of no reason to disagree, but then what is merely "attainable" is
    not sufficient. Evolution is a question of history and not philosophy.
    If we are trying to erect a philosophical explanation, I can appreciate
    the importance of what is possible. But what is merely possible is
    quite insufficient when trying to come up with a historical explanation.

    >As to direct evidence, one must either wait for a time machine, or wait for
    >the unique evolutionary mechanisms of half a billion years ago to start
    functioning
    >anew.

    I am not asking for direct evidence as I do not expect such a thing. Indirect
    evidence is just fine. What indirect evidence indicates that a major
    evolutionary innovation was indeed the product of RM&NS?

    >I don't think those mechanisms are going to work in the present
    >well-evolved ecosystem; only in a more benign primitive environment
    >could such bizarre experiments gain a foothold.

    I understand the philosophy. But where is the evidence behind these
    beliefs about history?

    Mike