Re: Dating Old Rocks

From: Richard Wein (tich@primex.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 06:29:13 EST

    From: Steven M. Smith <smsmith@helios.cr.usgs.gov>
    Date: 27 March 2000 18:27

    >On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 (15:41:06 -0000) Richard wrote:
    >>Steven, You wrote:
    >[Snippage]
    >>>But, how do these revelations affect my original point? Actually, if
    >>>anything, they improve it. The question still stands. With the
    exceptions
    >>>noted in my first post (and David Bowman's correction of my
    sunlight/cosmic
    >>>ray blunder), why are there no naturally-occurring radioactive isotopes
    >>>having half-lifes of 70 million or less? This question is valid whether
    >>>all Sm-146 (70 M.Y. half life) has decayed or whether it has simply
    >>>decayed to the point that we can no longer detect it.
    >>
    >>To justify that point, you need to show that the original concentrations
    >>were well within today's detection limits. That may be obvious to you, but
    >>not to a layman like me!
    >
    >If we were only talking about Sm-146 (known as a rare-earth-element), this
    >justification might be important. But let's look at the problem
    >statistically. What are the odds that every known isotope in the top half
    >of the list provided in my original post had an original concentration high
    >enough that we can still detect it today AND every single element (with
    >noted exceptions) having a half-life of 70 M.Y. or less did not? Pretty
    >slim, I'd predict.

    Good point. But, continuing to play the Devil's advocate.... ;-)

    Perhaps there is some underlying reason for a correlation between the
    half-life of an isotope and its original concentration. Do we know enough
    about the physics of half-lives and isotope formation to rule out such a
    correlation? (I would agree that such a correlation sounds unlikely, but it
    would be helpful to your argument if you could rule it out altogether.)

    As you're a geologist and not a physicist, perhaps this is outside your
    field.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    See my web pages for various games at http://homepages.primex.co.uk/~tich/