Selective nature of fossilization.

From: James Mahaffy (mahaffy@mtcnet.net)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 08:31:14 EST

    Folks,

    In a recent post Steve J. talks about the fossil record in commenting on
    an article in nature. Now the point that a gradualism model of
    evolution should leave more transitional forms than are found in the
    fossil record is valid. But also be aware that in a punctuated
    equilibrium one would expect many less transitional forms because of
    stasis.

    But that is not why I am taking time from preparing for a lecture to
    respond to Steve. Steve's post shows a lack of understanding of the
    nature of fossilization. One has to remember that it is a process that
    is very selective in lots of ways. I work in very widespread deposits
    of coal in the Carboniferous. We have loads and loads of details on
    the plants in this coal swamp because when they died the dead material
    fell into an anaerobic muck on the bottom (it doesn't change the picture
    much if you are YEC) but except for caprolites (fossil dung) we have
    almost NO record of the animals that munched on the vegetation. But
    then in an occasional shale like the Mazon Creek deposits you get a
    different environment that preserves both plants and animals but MOST of
    them do not. Just another illustration is that we know there were upland
    (non swamp environments but they are rarely preserved (which makes sense
    since they are thought to be more environments of erosion and not
    deposition).

    In light of that, Steve you said, "had to argue that the fossil record
    was *very* incomplete in order to hide the myriads of transitional
    forms that the `blind watchmaker' would leave in his wake:" If you had
    stopped with more I might agree, but given the nature of fossilization
    and the fact that the theory even in a non punctuated model predicts
    transitional forms to be around for less time you would not expect
    myriads.

    The difference between now and Darwin's day is that we have found so
    many more localities and those rare windows like the Mazon Creek in the
    Carboniferous and Burgess Shale and plaeontologists do feel that there
    are not big gaps. But given the nature of fossilization if you are
    going to make an argument on lack of transitions you should do it on
    something like angiosperm leaves or coal plants for which there is an
    excellent record in good depositional environments. You might be
    surprised at the argument you could make, but first do a bit of reading
    and find out what the nature is of the fossil record for groups of
    organisms that tend to preserve well in the fossil record.

    Now if I don't get thinking about nematodes and annelids, my zoology
    class will have a poor record.

    James and Florence Mahaffy 712 722-0381 (Home)
    227 S. Main St. 712 722-6279 (Office)
    Sioux Center, IA 51250