Re: Selective nature of fossilization.

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 09:00:50 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:31:14 -0600, James Mahaffy wrote:

    [...]

    JM>In light of that, Steve you said, "had to argue that the fossil record
    >was *very* incomplete in order to hide the myriads of transitional
    >forms that the `blind watchmaker' would leave in his wake:" If you had
    >stopped with more I might agree, but given the nature of fossilization
    >and the fact that the theory even in a non punctuated model predicts
    >transitional forms to be around for less time you would not expect
    >myriads.

    [...]

    My apologies. I thought "myriads" was Darwin's own words, but on
    checking I find that he only said "inconceivably great" and "infinitude":

    "By the theory of natural selection all living species have been connected
    with the parent-species of each genus, by differences not greater than we
    see between the natural and domestic varieties of the same species at the
    present day; and these parent-species, now generally extinct, have in their
    turn been similarly connected with more ancient forms; and so on
    backwards, always converging to the common ancestor of each great class.
    So that the number of intermediate and transitional links, between all living
    and extinct species, must have been inconceivably great. But assuredly, if
    this theory be true, such have lived upon the earth." (Darwin C.R., "The
    Origin of Species" 6th Edition, 1928, reprint, p.294).

    "On this doctrine of the extermination of an infinitude of connecting links,
    between the living and extinct inhabitants of the world, and at each
    successive period between the extinct and still older species, why is not
    every geological formation charged with such links? Why does not every
    collection of fossil remains afford plain evidence of the gradation and
    mutation of the forms of life? Although geological research has
    undoubtedly revealed the former existence of many links, bringing
    numerous forms of life much closer together, it does not yield the infinitely
    many fine gradations between past and present species required on the
    theory; and this is the most obvious of the many objections which may be
    urged against it. Why, again, do whole groups of allied species appear,
    though this appearance is often false, to have come in suddenly on the
    successive geological stages? Although we now know that organic beings
    appeared on this globe, at a period incalculably remote, long before the
    lowest bed of the Cambrian system was deposited, why do we not find
    beneath this system great piles of strata stored with the remains of the
    progenitors of the Cambrian fossils? For on the theory, such strata must
    somewhere have been deposited at these ancient and utterly unknown
    epochs of the world's history." (Darwin C.R., "The Origin of Species" 6th
    Edition, 1928, reprint, p.441).

    The "myriads" probably came from Denton:

    "The difference between Eohippus and the modern horse is relatively
    trivial, yet the two forms are separated by sixty million years and at least
    ten genera and a great number of species. The horse series therefore tends
    to emphasize just how vast must have been the number of genera and
    species if all the diverse forms of life on Earth had really evolved in the
    gradual way that Darwinian evolution implies. If the horse series is
    anything to go by their numbers must have been indeed the "infinitude" that
    Darwin imagined. If ten genera separate Eohippus from the modern horse
    then think of the uncountable myriads there must have been linking such
    diverse forms as land mammals and whales or molluscs and arthropods.
    Yet all these myriads of life forms have vanished mysteriously, without
    leaving so much as a trace of their existence in the fossil record." (Denton
    M., "Evolution: A Theory in Crisis", 1985, p.186)

    "The three classics that established the American version of the [modern
    evolutionary] synthesis overflow with a sense of triumph and hope: finally
    there was a reliable basis for understanding evolution. However, biologists
    have since declared the synthesis untestable, sterile, and outmoded
    creationists and antidarwinians (Box 1) are as numerous and as vocal as
    ever." (Leigh E.G., Jr, "The modern synthesis, Ronald Fisher and
    creationism," Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 14, no. 12, pp.495-
    498, December 1999, p.495)