Expanding Dembski's Ellipsis

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 10:43:30 EST

    Given the flap over Dembski and representation of others, I
    remembered having looked up a quote that Dembski made of
    Dawkins.

    Dembski's text:

    [Quote]

    [...] Is LIFE specified? Dawkins (1987, p.9) is quite
    definite about affirming this premise: "Complicated things
    have some quality, specifiable in advance, that is highly
    unlikely to have been acquired by random chance alone. In the
    case of living things, the quality that is specified in
    advance is ... the ability to propagate genes in
    reproduction." So Premise 2 isn't a problem for Dawkins
    either. Indeed, no evolutionist or creationist I know denies
    that LIFE is specified.

    [End Quote - WA Dembski, TDI, p.57]

    I was wondering what might be in the ellipsis that
    Dembski used in his quote of Dawkins.

    [Quote]

    Complicated things have some quality, specifiable in advance,
    that is highly unlikely to have been acquired by random chance
    alone. In the case of living things, the quality that is
    specified in advance is

    [The contents of Dembski's ellipsis]

    , in some sense, 'proficiency'; either proficiency in a
    particular ability such as flying, as an aero-engineer might
    admire it; or proficiency in something more general, such as
    the ability to stave off death, or

    [End of Dembski's ellipsis]

    the ability to propagate genes in reproduction.

    [End Quote - R Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker, p.9]

    Wesley