Marxism and Darwinism

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 19:51:42 EST

    Hi Brian,
    I agree. Philosophical assumptions do not limit a scientist's ability to do
    science. Believing nature is the result of a rational design (no junk) might
    help, but is merely my personal opinion.

    Brian:
    >In the past I have tried my best to steer clear of the Kansas
    >business since I don't consider it to be any of my business. The people of
    >Kansas are free to educate their children however they see fit, provided
    there
    >are no constitutional issues of course.

    >Thus, I haven't really kept abreast of all the developments, though I have
    read
    >a few of the items posted here and on the asa list. But from what I've read,
    >I'm a little surprised by your statement. Do you have some evidence that this
    >is all they did? I thought there was a warning label for text books (you
    know,
    >like the surgeon generals warning on packs of cigarettes :), or I'm I
    >confusing the
    >Kansas case with another case? Oh, and didn't they consult a creationist
    >organization
    >to help them draft the revisions?

    Bertvan:
    I plowed through that entire document listing what children were required to
    learn by certain grades. There was no "warning label" mentioned. They
    described lots of stuff, about which the children would be tested, on how
    variation occurs within species. (Peppered moths and finches beaks and
    domestic animals.) I don't remember if they specifically called it "random
    mutation and natural selection", but all of it would have warmed the heart of
    any Darwinist. They did not mention macro evolution. They didn't say
    schools couldn't teach that "random mutation and natural selection" were the
    mechanisms behind macro evolution. They just didn't list anything on the
    subject about which the children would be tested.

    As to whether they consulted a creationist organization, that should have no
    relevance to what they DID.
    I can't believe you advocate questioning the credibility of any agency which
    consults or associates with a religious organization!! Do you consider all
    who advocate ID to be "creationists"? And question the credibility of anyone
    who entertains the entertains the possibility of ID and discusses ID or
    irreducible complexity in a non confrontational manner? I'm not accusing
    you of anything, I'm asking.

    Bertvan

    P.S. Did you ever conduct that pole to see how many biologists at your
    university consider themselves materialists?