Re: Marxism and Darwinism

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 16:46:11 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 11:56:43 EST, Bertvan@aol.com wrote:

    >BH>In my experience, this impression is promoted by two extreme groups. One is a
    >>very narrow set of neo-Darwinists that are sometimes referred to as
    >>ultra-Darwinians (Eldredge) and Darwinian Fundamentalists (Gould). This group is not
    >>representative of either evolutionists in general or even of neo-Darwinians. Trying to
    >>promote them as such is equivalent to those evolutionists who try to paint all opponents
    >>of neo-Darwinism as YEC's.
    >>
    >>The second group that promotes the impression you mention above are extremists
    >>on the other side of the fence. Certain creationists who try to convince
    >>the general public that the "orthodox" scientific view is that of the ultra-Darwinians. It is
    >>very convenient for them. if the public views them as somehow oppressed by "the elite", the high
    >>priests of science.

    BV>I suspect - hope - you are right. However the ultra Darwinists have
    >succeeded in convincing the public their interpretation of evolution is "the
    >orthodox view". I can understand why scientists wouldn't want to waste their
    >time arguing on these discussion boards. But why didn't some "reasonable"
    >biologists speak up in support of the Kansas school board, which did nothing
    >more than suggest that "random mutation and natural selection" not be taught
    >as the known mechanism behind macro evolution? You once said that
    >materialism is dead. Who are the biologists informing the public that
    >materialism is not an essential part of biology? The only ones I've heard
    >are those active in the ID movement. Is the ID movement accepted as a
    >legitimate by most biologists? I believe academic freedom is pretty healthy
    >at the moment. I wish a few biologists would try to convince me that is also
    >true in biology.

    Bertvan is right about the second part. However much theistic evolutionists
    like Brian (and punctuated equilibrists like Gould and Eldredge) try to
    portray the situation as though the Neo-Darwinists are the odd men out, in
    fact they are fully in control of the "High Table" (to use Eldredge's term)
    and are still "textbook orthodoxy" (to use Gould's term).

    In my Biology course, already in the Origin of Life, the lecturer in order to
    explain how non-living chemicals came together, had to give us a brief little
    excursion into Darwinian natural selection. The textbook itself (as do
    AFAIK *all* Biology textbooks) teaches the same Neo-Darwinism that
    Brian, Gould and Eldredge try to portray as "ultra-Darwinism".

    Gould himself has been dismissed by the head of the "High Table",
    Maynard Smith, as: "a man whose ideas are so confused as to be hardly
    worth bothering with, but as one who should not be publicly criticized
    because he is at least on our side against the creationists." (Smith J.M., The
    New York Review, November 30, 1995, in Gould S.J., "Darwinian
    Fundamentalism", New York Review of Books, June 12, 1997
    http://www.nybooks.com/nyrev/WWWfeatdisplay.cgi?1997061234F@p7).

    And for all his hype, in the end Gould admits that the Neo-Darwinists are
    right after all in their insistence that natural selection is the only naturalistic
    mechanism which can "build structures of such eminently workable
    design":

    "Since the ultras are fundamentalists at heart, and since fundamentalists
    generally try to stigmatize their opponents by depicting them as apostates
    from the one true way, may I state for the record that I (along with all
    other Darwinian pluralists) do not deny either the existence and central
    importance of adaptation, or the production of adaptation by natural
    selection. Yes, eyes are for seeing and feet are for moving. And, yes again,
    I know of no scientific mechanism other than natural selection with the
    proven power to build structures of such eminently workable design.
    (Gould S.J., "Darwinian Fundamentalism", New York Review of Books,
    June 12, 1997.
    http://www.nybooks.com/nyrev/WWWfeatdisplay.cgi?1997061234F@p8).

    So the "Certain creationists who try to convince the general public that the
    "orthodox" scientific view is that of the ultra-Darwinians" are right on
    target, no matter how in-"convenient" that is for the theistic evolutionists,
    who try to make out that they can have `evolution' without Darwinism.

    "However, Darwin's own most important contribution to the theory of
    evolution, his theory of natural selection, is difficult to test. There are some
    tests, even some experimental tests; and in some cases, such as the famous
    phenomenon known as "industrial melanism", we can observe natural
    selection happening under our very eyes, as it were. Nevertheless, really
    severe tests of the theory of natural selection are hard to come by, much
    more so than tests of otherwise comparable theories in physics or
    chemistry." (Popper K., "Natural Selection and the Emergence of Mind,"
    Dialectica, Vol. 32, Nos. 3-4, 1978, pp.339-355, p.344)