Re: Marxism and Darwinism

From: Richard Wein (tich@primex.co.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 03:11:48 EST

    From: Bertvan@aol.com

    Hello, Bertvan. Your questions weren't directed to me, but I'll answer them
    anyway.

    [snip]

    >As to whether they consulted a creationist organization, that should have
    no
    >relevance to what they DID.

    It speaks about their motivation, which is important for a public body,
    where conflicts of interest may occur.

    >I can't believe you advocate questioning the credibility of any agency
    which
    >consults or associates with a religious organization!!

    I would certainly question the judgement of a public body which consults a
    religious organization on a matter of science education.

    >Do you consider all
    >who advocate ID to be "creationists"? And question the credibility of
    anyone
    >who entertains the entertains the possibility of ID and discusses ID or
    >irreducible complexity in a non confrontational manner? I'm not accusing
    >you of anything, I'm asking.

    I would question the credibility of a person to speak authoritatively on
    this subject if that person accepts the flawed arguments for ID that I've
    seen (i.e. those of Behe and Dembski), particularly if that person has a
    strong religious motivation (as Behe and Dembski do).

    >P.S. Did you ever conduct that pole to see how many biologists at your
    >university consider themselves materialists?

    If you're referring to the poll that I suggested, then you've completely
    changed the subject. I wrote: "I wanted to know whether most professional
    biologists in your university would agree that those who are characterized
    by Gould and Eldredge as "ultra-Darwinians" are "a very narrow set of
    neo-Darwinists". I would still be interested in knowing how some typical
    biologists would answer this question. Unfortunately, I don't have any
    biologists available to ask for myself!

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    See my web pages for various games at http://homepages.primex.co.uk/~tich/